Note/Article Publication Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
simonz

New

Note/Article Publication

Post by simonz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi all and thanks in advance for your help.

I am a 2L at CCN. A couple of days ago, I submitted broadly a note/article for publication at various journals. My piece has been accepted by a secondary journal at a school that has given me a very short deadline for response. I would like to at least receive consideration at some other journals before accepting the offer. I am wondering if people have an idea of what the etiquette here is? Are extensions granted/should I be letting other journals know I have an exploding offer?

Thanks again

objctnyrhnr

Re: Note/Article Publication

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:50 pm

I have negotiated for an extension in the past for this purpose. I also don’t think it’d hurt to mention the exploding offer to other journals.

More broadly (and I suppose potentially unsolicited advice), as a literal student, it is a huge accomplishment to even get published in a ttt secondary journal. Just because you’re smart and the article is good, don’t assume you’ll get the time of day from more reputable journals right now.

Once you graduate (particularly if you clerk), with a secondary journal publication already under your belt, you’ll find yourself getting bites at secondary journals for tier 1 schools and primary reviews for ttt and tttt. That’s how it went in my experience.

Keep it up, though. Congrats.

nixy

Gold

Re: Note/Article Publication

Post by nixy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:22 pm

You should also let other journals know you have an offer and ask for expedited review. This is totally normal and they will be very used to it. It won’t get you an acceptance where you weren’t going to get one but it can get you a quicker turnaround (to be blunt, some journals may have less incentive to expedite for a student than for a prof with a publication track record, but you should definitely ask).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”