Loosing interest/steam in law. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cam1992

New

Loosing interest/steam in law.

Post by cam1992 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 am

Does anyone else have any experience in loosing interest in the law? After a disappointing first semester I worked my tail off to get into a decent position in my class and, after achieving that last semester, I am finding myself completely losing interest this semester. My friends love talking and debating about law related subjects and I really just have no interest. My classes seem less interesting and the work feels more and more like pulling teeth everyday. I'm not sure if this is burnout due to working non-stop for three semesters or something else, but I know that I am the only one in my group of friends feeling it. I'm worried that I have been SO consumed by work that I never stopped and asked myself if I was actually enjoying it. Any tips on regaining the motivation would be very helpful.

cavalier1138

Re: Loosing interest/steam in law.

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 am

Well, why did you decide to go to law school? What are you planning on doing after graduation?

cam1992

New

Post by cam1992 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Honestly, I came to law school because, for as long, as I could remember, I wanted to be a lawyer. Both of my parents, my two older siblings, and my uncles are all lawyers. Additionally, I had always loved academic challenges and law school just seemed like a good fit––everyone thought so and I never really thought to question it. This summer I am working for a big firm, but I am not in the practice group I was hoping for (wanted a transactional practice, but got a litigation one). I am just wondering whether this feeling is normal or anyone else has experienced it, since, at least what they tell people, my friends at law school do not feel this way. Because I have a combination of scholarship + family help, I am going to graduate debt free and therefore am not considering dropping out. Just asking for advice to get me out of my funk.

afg96

New

Post by afg96 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm

I think it is normal to feel this way especially after working really hard in your first semester. To be honest I myself felt the same way couple days ago. What keeps me motivated and this may sound kind of idk funny I guess are legal dramas or movies. Try watching some movies about lawyers, subscribe to legal channels on YouTube like LegalEagle, etc.... these things keep me motivated. I know not all subjects in law school are fun the way criminal law and contract law is at least for me, so once in a while it is good to maybe take a breather. Also I highly recommend staying active, get a gym membership it really helps trust me, also stock up on some vitamin D winters could be brutal on your mental state due to lack of sunlight.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 pm

I agree that this is pretty normal. It's doubly normal for you, because legal education is mostly geared towards litigation. Transactional lawyers often say that they didn't enjoy law school. So do litigators, but it seems to be a more pronounced attitude in transactions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”