First year Harvard Law School Syllabus Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
afg96

New

First year Harvard Law School Syllabus

Post by afg96 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi, I am a Canadian currently in law school and was wondering what Harvard's first year syllabus for the required first-year courses: Civil Procedure, Contracts, Criminal Law, Legislation and Regulation, Property, and Torts are? If any Harvard law student would be kind enough to either send me their course syllabus or post them on here I would really appreciate it. I am thinking of practicing law in the U.S and currently couple states like New York, California, and Massachusetts allows non U.S law graduates to bit at their state bar exam as long as they studied law in a common law country like Canada, U.K etc.. I would like to see the reading list on the syllabus and maybe read them during the summer. Once again I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. Thanks

eck456

Bronze

Re: First year Harvard Law School Syllabus

Post by eck456 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 am

afg96 wrote:Hi, I am a Canadian currently in law school and was wondering what Harvard's first year syllabus for the required first-year courses: Civil Procedure, Contracts, Criminal Law, Legislation and Regulation, Property, and Torts are? If any Harvard law student would be kind enough to either send me their course syllabus or post them on here I would really appreciate it. I am thinking of practicing law in the U.S and currently couple states like New York, California, and Massachusetts allows non U.S law graduates to bit at their state bar exam as long as they studied law in a common law country like Canada, U.K etc.. I would like to see the reading list on the syllabus and maybe read them during the summer. Once again I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. Thanks
I’ll bite - every 1st year section has a wildly different “syllabus” given their profs have full discretion over which textbook they use and what they assign. Honestly mostly they assign their own textbook, so couldn’t guarantee those are the best resources, just the ones our profs make $$ off of assigning (although with the Manning/ Leg Reg book as an exception most are fine and did the job). I think you’re probably better off reviewing bar prep materials for international students, since every prof is looking for something different in their own personal exam, (meaning for every 1L topic you likely have 7 options for syllabi, cases, etc). If you really feel strongly about finding the Harvard-assigned textbooks you can go on the Coop website and play with the 1L schedule and see what books are assigned, you don’t need a Harvard login to access

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 am

I'm not at Harvard, but this is a horrible idea for studying for the bar.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

Don't do this. Just sign up for a bar prep course (BarBri, Themis, Kaplan, etc.) and study for the bar for a couple months after you graduate.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Law school does not teach you how to pass the bar, think like a lawyer, read or write, etc.

Law school doesn't teach you anything.

Agreed with the above: if you're serious, sign up for a bar course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”