Dropping out Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
wafflesfordays

New

Dropping out

Post by wafflesfordays » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm

I got straight B's this first 1L semester. At a T30-40 school. Does anyone know what happens if you drop out after 1st semester? Is it possible to apply as a 1L elsewhere at any point? Or if I continued would I be forced to continue at the school I'm already at?

Lolstudent

New

Re: Dropping out

Post by Lolstudent » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Does your school curve to a 3.0-3.2? If so, you are at or just below median. The situation is far from hopeless because you have a semester before OCI and five before graduation. There are far worse situations than being median at a t40. Unless you are miserable in school, you should focus your energy on improving this semester rather than redoing a whole application cycle, first semester of 1L, etc.

The only door you have most likely closed is to a 1L summer associate gig, but those are super competitive anyway and uncommon from a t40.

Good luck this semester.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Pretty sure you can drop out and reapply for the future, but you’d have to disclose your admission and grades. And I’m not really sure what the benefit would be.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 am

OP, are your grades the only reason for considering dropping out? Do you actually want to be a lawyer and will your debt be manageable? My grades during 1L were slightly above median, but pretty mediocre. I ended up raising my grades substantially over the remaining years and ended up graduating top 10%. It can be done, but it will take some extra effort.

wafflesfordays

New

Post by wafflesfordays » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:38 pm

rwhyAn wrote:OP, are your grades the only reason for considering dropping out? Do you actually want to be a lawyer and will your debt be manageable? My grades during 1L were slightly above median, but pretty mediocre. I ended up raising my grades substantially over the remaining years and ended up graduating top 10%. It can be done, but it will take some extra effort.
I actually do enjoy the classes I’m taking. I’m a URM. And I also have mental health issues. The issue is that I don’t feel I was accommodated properly in my in class exams and that my grades suffered due to it. I got an A on my midterm in one of the classes and then didn’t do well at least partially I feel, due to the accommodations. I contacted my disability resource dept to complain immediately after this exam and then after I got my grades back. After I got my grades back I tried to see if they would allow me to retake but so far no luck. I have a meeting with the dean of student affairs and a letter from my psychiatrist but assuming they don’t budge I need to decide what to do.

My school requires a minimum of top 33%-25% to make OCI and I only have one semester to make that. It would require almost all As. Furthermore, I don’t want to stay at the school after this issue and their refusing to help me. I am on a small scholly and would want to transfer to NYU but with my current grades I would need straight As once again to transfer. So not only would I basically be stuck at the school paying too much for the job opportunities available but I’d also be stuck there as I wouldn’t transfer to a worse school just to pay sticker price.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wafflesfordays

New

Post by wafflesfordays » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Lolstudent wrote:Does your school curve to a 3.0-3.2? If so, you are at or just below median. The situation is far from hopeless because you have a semester before OCI and five before graduation. There are far worse situations than being median at a t40. Unless you are miserable in school, you should focus your energy on improving this semester rather than redoing a whole application cycle, first semester of 1L, etc.

The only door you have most likely closed is to a 1L summer associate gig, but those are super competitive anyway and uncommon from a t40.

Good luck this semester.
It’s a 3.2. I also have until Tuesday to withdraw and get this entire semesters tuition back.

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm

wafflesfordays wrote:
Lolstudent wrote:Does your school curve to a 3.0-3.2? If so, you are at or just below median. The situation is far from hopeless because you have a semester before OCI and five before graduation. There are far worse situations than being median at a t40. Unless you are miserable in school, you should focus your energy on improving this semester rather than redoing a whole application cycle, first semester of 1L, etc.

Good luck this semester.
It’s a 3.2. I also have until Tuesday to withdraw and get this entire semesters tuition back.
I would talk to the school some more and make sure that you receive adequate accommodations this semester. You are still in the running for OCI because people tend to let off the gas second semester. Either way, there are good jobs outside of biglaw, though you'll have to decide if the debt is worth it.

Most importantly, you enjoyed your classes, which is a great sign. It seems like the accommodations need to be tweaked but that you aren't fundamentally at odds with being in law school.

Ask yourself this: if the school suddenly kicked you out tomorrow would you feel more relief or disappointment? There is your answer. Good luck to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”