secreg for Credit group? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tamwafle

New

secreg for Credit group?

Post by tamwafle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi everyone and thx in advance for advice--

I'm a 3L set to go into Credit group at a V5 firm in New York next fall, didn't SA because was planning to go into PI before this year. My plan is to do biglaw for 5 years and then go home to small town where I'm from and work for my dad/eventually take over his small family and estate law firm.

I had a question about what to take this coming semester. I'm currently scheduled to take family law, trusts and estates, tax, and secreg. Problem is, that's the max amount of credits possible to take and 4 black letter law exams, which seems like it might be setting myself up for a hellish 3L spring. Do you think there's anything I can miss? I'd like to take t&e and family law no matter what, so between tax and secreg, could I drop either? One big strike against tax is it's 8:10 mo tu...but it seems kind of essential. So that kind of leaves secreg - if it's not too useful for Credit practice, I think I'd drop that. I could then take a 2-credit, no-final course in estate planning (but I heard this won't be very useful because it's only for net worths above 10mil and there aren't many of those where I'd be practicing eventually).

So what do you think - is secreg very essential for 5 years or so in Credit?

Thanks again!

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: secreg for Credit group?

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:15 pm

No. It is irrelevant.

tamwafle

New

Post by tamwafle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks. I've heard some people say it's useful for knowing how companies fund themselves...your thoughts on this?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:36 pm

You are doing secured lending. It does not matter. None of the classes really are going to help you.

I guess bankruptcy would because it is when credit agreements are litigated and a secured lending class would also.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Secreg is completely irrelevant for your practice.

tamwafle

New

Post by tamwafle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:39 pm

jarofsoup wrote:You are doing secured lending. It does not matter. None of the classes really are going to help you.

I guess bankruptcy would because it is when credit agreements are litigated and a secured lending class would also.
Great, I took secured transactions and bankruptcy last semester (the latter had a heavy focus on transactions as well). Glad to not have to get into the weeds with 10b-5 and all that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”