Should I drop or not? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jimlaw123

New

Should I drop or not?

Post by Jimlaw123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Hello,

Just got bad grades after first semester ( I won't divulge, but I was pissed), it all lead to a legal writing course. I feel like I have this "Fake nice" but "out to get me" type of person. The prof as once questioned my intelligence and learning ability (as if I was slow or something), I didn't know what to do, I played it off (trying to not start something), and left it at that. Got a lot of help, from the head of our department for that, and turned in my final.. Nothing, still a bad grade(though the person read over it 3 times and told me it was solid).

My other course grades were alright, and medium. I'm pretty pissed off at the moment, but trying to keep clarity. I don't mind the school, but this one prof is like a "black cloud" over me. I tried to work with her, talk, nothing, even went to another person, and my grade didn't improve much. It is what it is, I'm kinda over it.

Can I double back and get great grades the next two semesters and be good? Or is that not possible,and first semester determines my entire chance? I did abysmal in this class, and I think she kinda made sure of that. I tried to get out, but they're not letting me (any strategy to go to another section?). I feel she has it out for me ( I did fall a sleep in her class a bit, not gonna lie, just too many classes, should've been part time, not full time student).

I'm thinking of just dropping out, and I don't know, reapplying somewhere else, or just being done with it. I don't care for the city, and it's in another state. Thanks in advance.

cam1992

New

Re: Should I drop or not?

Post by cam1992 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:14 am

I think this decision is personal for everyone and really depends on what school you are at, debt, goals, etc. I can totally relate to wanting to drop out after first semester after making one terrible grade, one disappointing grade and two median grades. It is absolutely devastating and has a big impact on your confidence. My problem was with test taking and not legal writing, so I am not sure how much this helps, but I was able to really focus on test taking strategies and saw a significant bump in my GPA from first to second semester. I went from finishing in the bottom 10% first semester to the top 15% second semester. I suggest seeing if your school has an academic support staff outside of professors. I worked with the academic dean and her associates at my school and it made all the difference. It could be something to look into. Best of luck.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:11 am

What are your career goals, and where do you go to school? And what's your actual class rank after this semester?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if this post is at all indicative of your general writing style, your professor doesn't "have it out for you."

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Not to put too fine a point on it, but if this post is at all indicative of your general writing style, your professor doesn't "have it out for you."
Not to pile on, but this was my first reaction.

Your writing in your post aside, legal writing is one of those classes where the curve really bites people because there can be so little clear difference between students, and someone has to be at the bottom. It’s also a class where students’ (mistaken) belief that effort counts comes to the fore: “I revised this a bunch so it should have got a better grade” isn’t true. Your assignment may have looked fine to the person who read it but without looking at everyone else’s papers that doesn’t tell you much about what grade you’ll get.

I know this doesn’t go to whether you should drop out (though if I remember correctly, a lot of people had concerns about you going in the first place). But thinking your legal writing prof had it out for you is pretty unproductive and not worth really spending energy on, because it’s likely not where your issues are.

Especially if you were falling asleep in class. Are you actually working as well or something? Otherwise there’s no reason that full time should be “too many classes.” If you’re not working on top of going to school, maybe law school isn’t the thing for you right now. (Or even if you are working on top of going to school.)

All that said - yes, people can improve a lot the second semester, but mathematically how far you can bring up your GPA and whether that’s enough for the kinds of jobs you want, I can’t say.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am

It sounds like you are struggling. Me, personally, I would read those signs and get out now. I don’t see things improving much for you.

dc_diva

New

Post by dc_diva » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 am

I felt similarly about legal writing, but was able to turn a very low grade first semester to an A second semester — so, it is possible to learn. For me, I had to be honest with myself about the effort I was giving during the first semester. For example, I blew off some of the reading because it seemed intuitive. I also had to give in to some of the stylistic preferences of my professor, although I thought some were ridiculous. Working with others to review your writing can be helpful, but ultimately you’ll have to work with your professor directly to get a sense of what they are looking for. Sounds like you may not have the best relationship with them, but I would consider putting on your professional pants and learning how to work with them because you’re going to encounter similar situations throughout your career.

If this is your only bad grade, you’re clearly doing other things right. Breath, focus on what you can do to improve, and if it is worth it for your career before dropping out. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”