JAG Questions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrSam

Bronze

JAG Questions

Post by MrSam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Long story short, I was accepted to the Army's JAG Corps summer internship program. I'm interested in working as a JAG for the Navy, but couldn't send our my application in time (recommenders were taking their time with my letters, and the Navy requires at least one LOR). Anyhow, the Army needs an answer by Jan 4th, and I won't hear back from the Navy until after the 12th. Do you all think I should risk my position with the Army in hopes of getting an offer with the Navy?
Assuming I decide to spend my summer with the Army, does the base I work at make a significant difference? I haven't been able to get in touch with my recruiter, but plan on asking her this question after the holidays.

heyarnold

New

Re: JAG Questions

Post by heyarnold » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:04 pm

You can accept the army offer for now. And if you end up being offered a navy internship, ask the army to rescind your offer and explain why.

JAG applicants do this all the time (flip on their internship acceptance for another branch). The application committee is used to and that’s why they have alternates

MrSam

Bronze

Re: JAG Questions

Post by MrSam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:45 pm

heyarnold wrote:You can accept the army offer for now. And if you end up being offered a navy internship, ask the army to rescind your offer and explain why.

JAG applicants do this all the time (flip on their internship acceptance for another branch). The application committee is used to and that’s why they have alternates
I wasn't aware that this would be an option. The statement of intent makes it sound like I'm obligated to serve as an intern once assigned. Glad to know I can request that they rescind the offer.
With respect to the various bases within each branch, would you happen to know if the word differs based on which branch you're assigned to?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”