3L Job Search: Probable Outcomes for Late Bloomers? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LSATWiz.com

Silver

3L Job Search: Probable Outcomes for Late Bloomers?

Post by LSATWiz.com » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am

Hi, I was tutoring someone at a t-10 for their 2L year. During their 1L year, they were bottom 5-10% (possibly ranked last). Their 2L GPA was probably around top 40%-top third, which likely brought them out of the bottom 25%. Due to depression over 1L grades, they never really applied to anything and still have a big law or bust perspective. I can't give away more as I don't want to reveal their identity, but they are working this summer in the public sector.

Apparently, career services has been unresponsive to their inquiries. They have asked me for my advise, and my instinct is big law is out of the equation at this point, and they need to get over it. As they approach 3L year, what should their focus be on?

Wipfelder

Silver

Re: 3L Job Search: Probable Outcomes for Late Bloomers?

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm

UBETutoring wrote:Hi, I was tutoring someone at a t-10 for their 2L year. During their 1L year, they were bottom 5-10% (possibly ranked last). Their 2L GPA was probably around top 40%-top third, which likely brought them out of the bottom 25%. Due to depression over 1L grades, they never really applied to anything and still have a big law or bust perspective. I can't give away more as I don't want to reveal their identity, but they are working this summer in the public sector.

Apparently, career services has been unresponsive to their inquiries. They have asked me for my advise, and my instinct is big law is out of the equation at this point, and they need to get over it. As they approach 3L year, what should their focus be on?
I know at least 4 firms that are interviewing 3L's right now (that are otherwise typical OCI-hiring firms). Since I really only know people well in about 10 law firms, I think it is likely there are many more firms that will entertain 3L apps from what looks to be a median T10 student.

hoos89

Gold

Re: 3L Job Search: Probable Outcomes for Late Bloomers?

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 am

It's worth a shot but they need to get motivated on actually finding something yesterday. Mass-mail, contact alumni at firms, try to see if there are any interview slots open for 3Ls at OCI. It's not a sure thing, but I'd say it's worth spending at least the next couple months trying. Biggest detriment is probably going to be attitude though. They need to be confident in their chances and be ready to talk about their 1L grades without getting ashamed. Need to be able to spin the upward trajectory.

3L hiring is way up from even a few years ago, and I'd think a T-10 student would at least get some looks (notwithstanding no biglaw summer job).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”