How thorough is the CA Bar's C&F investigation? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
omarbenjamin

New

How thorough is the CA Bar's C&F investigation?

Post by omarbenjamin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:52 am

Hi, I'm wondering if there are any recent C&F applicants that can share their experience of the types of questions asked by the CA Bar? I have a clean criminal, financial, school discipline record...but I may have stretched the truth when I said I was captain of the golf team in college. I was on the team, but we were all just team mates and my golf stories were an integral part of my PS. I read on the bar's website that they study everything that was submitted to the LS though the apps I sent and will investigate anything any and all things. So I'm wondering, do they just look at the background check aspect of it only or do they read personal statements as well and investigate stuff in that?

Please spare me the humiliation of being told I'm a scumbag for telling a white lie on a PS. I just wanted to make myself seem better than I really am.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: How thorough is the CA Bar's C&F investigation?

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 am

omarbenjamin wrote: So I'm wondering, do they just look at the background check aspect of it only or do they read personal statements as well and investigate stuff in that?
I'm pretty sure they're not gonna call up your buddies from golf team and ask them whether you were the captain, but weirder things have happened. Wanna be safe? Fess up and deal with the consequences. Wanna risk it? Keep your head down and hope they don't dig into your PS.
Please spare me the humiliation of being told I'm a scumbag for telling a white lie on a PS. I just wanted to make myself seem better than I really am.
You're gonna make a great lawyer. :roll: :roll:

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 am

Wowsers. You can rest assured that, if you fail C&F, you will at least make it to AboveTheLaw. Was this puffery, or an intent to mislead? I don't know. C&F does, quite reasonably, have a strong focus on candor.

If you're still in school, as was mentioned above, you could write to the dean and set the record straight.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

omarbenjamin wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if there are any recent C&F applicants that can share their experience of the types of questions asked by the CA Bar? I have a clean criminal, financial, school discipline record...but I may have stretched the truth when I said I was captain of the golf team in college. I was on the team, but we were all just team mates and my golf stories were an integral part of my PS. I read on the bar's website that they study everything that was submitted to the LS though the apps I sent and will investigate anything any and all things. So I'm wondering, do they just look at the background check aspect of it only or do they read personal statements as well and investigate stuff in that?

Chill, you're fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”