Summer associate jobs and Poker Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ryanjonn

New

Summer associate jobs and Poker

Post by Ryanjonn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:58 pm

I want to earn a summer associate job after 1L, and if possible I’d like to be able to play the World Series of Poker Main Event, which takes places the first week of July and can last up to 10 days. Is this possible?

Barrred

Bronze

Re: Summer associate jobs and Poker

Post by Barrred » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Probably a deal-breaker for a firm (the summer program is very short, and this shows your lack of interest in getting to know the firm/the law in general). I could only see it being possible if you are already a super high-level professional poker player (and your resume shows that, such that it was one of the reasons the firm was interested in you in the first place), but not if you are just some low-level casual player (even if you are technically a "pro").

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Ryanjonn wrote:I want to earn a summer associate job after 1L, and if possible I’d like to be able to play the World Series of Poker Main Event, which takes places the first week of July and can last up to 10 days. Is this possible?
Maybe a small firm. No biglaw firm would give that much time off for anything, maybe a pressing family emergency.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Ryanjonn wrote:I want to earn a summer associate job after 1L, and if possible I’d like to be able to play the World Series of Poker Main Event, which takes places the first week of July and can last up to 10 days. Is this possible?
Do you just have $10k laying around? Or did you win a seat in some satellite tourney? Either way, you're likely not hurting for cash and in that sense wouldn't even worry about your 1L summer gig (not that you generally should anyways).

I'd say look for something flexible and law related. Easier said than done, I know.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:35 pm

If you get an offer, you can try to make a very compelling pitch and see if the firm will take you for an extra week on the back end. I wouldn't count on it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If you get an offer, you can try to make a very compelling pitch and see if the firm will take you for an extra week on the back end. I wouldn't count on it though.
Yeah basically this. And even then, only if you have played the WSOP several times before and/or finished well in similar tournaments. It's gonna be hard to strike the right balance between "I need time off for my hobby" and "Poker is my first love; I only went to law school because I was bored." But I agree that it's worth asking if you can find the right person and strike the right tone. If they display anything other than approval, don't press it.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:05 pm

This is likely to be a nonstarter for an SA at any firm (and would be a big ask even if you were a full time employee who had established yourself). I'd look into playing a satellite event (or doing weekends in Vegas during WSOP season if you are somewhere nearby) if you really wanted to do this for whatever reason.

Mokosc

New

Post by Mokosc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:11 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:This is likely to be a nonstarter for an SA at any firm (and would be a big ask even if you were a full time employee who had established yourself). I'd look into playing a satellite event (or doing weekends in Vegas during WSOP season if you are somewhere nearby) if you really wanted to do this for whatever reason.
Agree totally

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”