BC or NDLS Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mattlawsuh

New

BC or NDLS

Post by mattlawsuh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:25 pm

So I just got accepted to Notre Dame after being on their waitlist for a while, but have already submitted my deposit and have housing arrangements for Boston College. Should I say yes to NDLS? With the new SCOTUS justice (probably) going/teaching there, I assume it will go up in rankings. Also, they offer more courses in Constitutional Law, my area of interest.

Thought/suggestions??

nixy

Gold

Re: BC or NDLS

Post by nixy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Barrett becoming a justice (if it happens) isn’t going to have any measurable effect on your opportunities. Where do you want to work and what kind of job do you want and which one will cost more?
Last edited by nixy on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:43 pm

There are plenty of valid reasons to choose ND over BC, but the two you suggested (the potentiality of Amy Coney Barrett on the Supreme Court and offering more con law classes) are not.

1. Where do you want to practice

2. What's the financial situation

3. Do you want biglaw/fed clerk

mattlawsuh

New

Post by mattlawsuh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 pm

nixy wrote:Barrett becoming a justice (if it happens) isn’t going to have any measurable effect on your opportunities. Where do you want to work and what kind of job do you want and which one will cost more?
I'd like to work in NYC or DC, and appellate/Supreme Court litigation is my dream. Notre Dame would cost more. Leaning towards BC.

mattlawsuh

New

Post by mattlawsuh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:There are plenty of valid reasons to choose ND over BC, but the two you suggested (the potentiality of Amy Coney Barrett on the Supreme Court and offering more con law classes) are not.

1. DC or NYC
2. Taking out loans for all of it. BC slightly cheaper.
3. Yes to both

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HerculesQEinstein

New

Post by HerculesQEinstein » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 am

mattlawsuh wrote:
Fireworks2016 wrote:There are plenty of valid reasons to choose ND over BC, but the two you suggested (the potentiality of Amy Coney Barrett on the Supreme Court and offering more con law classes) are not.

1. DC or NYC
2. Taking out loans for all of it. BC slightly cheaper.
3. Yes to both
Are you a republican/conservative?

My recollection is that NDLS punches above its weight class in clerkships because of its reliably conservative students are attractive to the red team.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:04 am

ND alum: ND also has an outstanding LRAP. ND had 2 SCOTUS clerks in 2014, and it consistently places a disproportionate number of students into conservative Judge clerkships. LRAP + clerkships versus BC’s more robust home market for both OCI and internship possibilities is what your decision should come down to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”