Is working part time during the semester a good or bad idea? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rzzza

New

Is working part time during the semester a good or bad idea?

Post by rzzza » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am

I've recently completed my 1L year at a tier 2 school but my grades are very underwhelming. My GPA is around 2.7. I was fortunate enough to get a summer job at a class action firm through networking. In a few months, I'll be forced to make the choice between continuing to work part time during the fall semester or quitting my clerkship at the firm to focus on my classes. Do you guys think it's better for a person in my position to focus more on gaining practical experience in a firm even if doing so would mean less time to focus on class work or to focus entirely on my classes at the expense of real world experience?

I did the full time student thing during 1L, i had no part time job and yet my grades are still really meh, so i assume that at this point it's just better to keep working as much as possible to hopefully gain some marketable skills that would lessen the emphasis on my grades to potential future employers. I welcome your thoughts, opinions and advice.

albanach

Gold

Re: Is working part time during the semester a good or bad idea?

Post by albanach » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am

rzzza wrote:I've recently completed my 1L year at a tier 2 school but my grades are very underwhelming. My GPA is around 2.7. I was fortunate enough to get a summer job at a class action firm through networking. In a few months, I'll be forced to make the choice between continuing to work part time during the fall semester or quitting my clerkship at the firm to focus on my classes. Do you guys think it's better for a person in my position to focus more on gaining practical experience in a firm even if doing so would mean less time to focus on class work or to focus entirely on my classes at the expense of real world experience?

I did the full time student thing during 1L, i had no part time job and yet my grades are still really meh, so i assume that at this point it's just better to keep working as much as possible to hopefully gain some marketable skills that would lessen the emphasis on my grades to potential future employers. I welcome your thoughts, opinions and advice.
What does your school curve to?

Will the class actions firm hire you at graduation?

rzzza

New

Post by rzzza » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:13 am

I have no idea if they'll hire me, it's only my second week. I was told that the learning curve is very steep here and that I'm likely to go through the whole summer without really understanding what to do or how to do it by the end. Law school doesn't prepare you for actual firm type work.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Yes you should continue to work at the firm during the school year. Unfortunately, with your grades, its the best chance you have (right now) to get a job upon graduation -- whether its at that firm or another. And don't be afraid to stand up for yourself to ensure you are getting time off for class, exams, etc. ... and if the PT firm isn't willing to do that, you don't want to work there anyway.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 am

I agree with the above poster. Working during the semester gives you actual legal experience and somehing to distinguish yourself for potential employers. However make sure that you have yourself enough time off for. Exam preparation. If you find that your part time job is too much, then you may not benefit from working.

Are you going to do any extra curriculars? If so you may want to consider how much of a commitment those curiculars are.

What is your school’s curve?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”