Dilemma Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bl686300

New

Dilemma

Post by bl686300 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Hey all. Rising 2L here.

I have a slight dilemma for this fall, I have a choice between two internships and can't choose.

I received an offer from DOJ in the criminal division, deadline to accept next week.

Just got off the phone with the executive office of the president, and received an offer. I asked if spring was an option, and he said he would get back to me.

Which would have a better impact on my resume? I want to do big law (doing OCI this summer). Which one would be better to brag about during interviews? (I know grades are the more determinative factor, not really worried about that department).

Many thanks !!!

minnbills

Gold

Re: Dilemma

Post by minnbills » Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 pm

do you mean president of your school?

DOJ is the better option, unless you're talking about the white house. In which case I would probably still choose the DOJ.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri May 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Truthfully, having the White House job in the current on your resume is probably a deal breaker for a lot of places. They are only hiring true believers at this point and that is not going to reflect well on a resume for 99% of future Jon opportunities. Just speaking the truth.

Thisistheyear

New

Post by Thisistheyear » Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 am

Disagree on White House being a deal breaker. Plenty of Big Law folks and their clients would love to have a MAGA JD.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue May 22, 2018 3:03 pm

You mean the White House Internship Program? If you're placed in the Office of the White House Counsel, go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue May 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Thisistheyear wrote:Disagree on White House being a deal breaker. Plenty of Big Law folks and their clients would love to have a MAGA JD.
And there are plenty of people who will trash his resume as soon as it hits their desk, for the same reason. It's a risk for OP. Especially as most biglaw firms are not MAGA.

bl686300

New

Post by bl686300 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 pm

OP here. Thanks all. I chose DOJ but I'm considering asking if the spring is an option. I just want something cool to talk about for OCI lol.

I am worried about the whole MAGA thing and being dinged from employers as soon as they see my resume, especially with the political climate right now. In all honesty, would this really impact me down the road?

Thanks again all. God speed.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 pm

bl686300 wrote:OP here. Thanks all. I chose DOJ but I'm considering asking if the spring is an option. I just want something cool to talk about for OCI lol.

I am worried about the whole MAGA thing and being dinged from employers as soon as they see my resume, especially with the political climate right now. In all honesty, would this really impact me down the road?

It could. I surveyed some buddies in other biglaw firms that are a part of their firms recruiting and asked what they thought if a resume had that job on it. Each of them said it would be immediately trashed for bad judgment. A few biglaw firms maybe not, such as Jones day, but thats the exception.

bl686300

New

Post by bl686300 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
bl686300 wrote:OP here. Thanks all. I chose DOJ but I'm considering asking if the spring is an option. I just want something cool to talk about for OCI lol.

It could. I surveyed some buddies in other biglaw firms that are a part of their firms recruiting and asked what they thought if a resume had that job on it. Each of them said it would be immediately trashed for bad judgment. A few biglaw firms maybe not, such as Jones day, but thats the exception.
Thanks for the honesty! I was on the fence about it, and when they started calling all my references today that's where it really sank in. The job itself seems really cool, the only thing standing in the way seems to be good ol' MAGA and my hopes of biglaw after graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”