Missed Last Page of Exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tsavo123

New

Missed Last Page of Exam

Post by tsavo123 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:56 am

I had my Torts final this week and did not see the last page of the exam. The exam was multiple choice with 2 essay questions. The second essay question was only 2 paragraphs and ended in the middle of the page. There was no call of the question which I thought was odd but there were several issues I could spot so I went at them all. 10 minutes before the end I realized there was a fullback page that continued the fact pattern and had the call of the question which was basically discuss everything but plaintiff liability which I talked about in detail. I am furious and devastated. I've been emailing back and forth with different admin and told them I made a mistake but the exam was also faulty. The fact pattern should not have stopped in the middle of the first page and then continued on the next. That's just not proper English formatting. It should have continued to the bottom of the first page and then went onto the next. Also, at the bottom of this exam, it just had the page number. Every other exam I've had or seen in the archives has "(Exam Continues)" or "Page _ of _" at the bottom of the page so you know that's not the end. They also have "(This space intentionally left blank)" where there are large gaps without text. My exam had none of these notations. Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I studied so hard for this class. I was in the top 25% first semester and I need to make it to the top 10% to get a guaranteed scholarship. I asked them to let me take substitute essay for just that question and they said no. They are defending the exam saying the professor wanted it printed like that "so as not to break up the information on the final page" but I don't believe it. She's given us practice test and never wrote in such an unusual fashion.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Missed Last Page of Exam

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Sounds like you are out of luck.

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Nothing you can do. I'm assuming everyone got the same formatted exam as you. The obvious question is why you wouldn't check the back page if you didn't see a call to the question. It's on you.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:25 pm

RIP top-law-schools.com.

Unless several people fucked up, just suck it up and move on.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 am

I can see how under exam stress it would be easy to not check the back page, but there is nothing you can do but move on. Sometimes the curve works in your favor though. Maybe a substantial proportion of your classmates made the same mistake. Or maybe the rest of your exam was flawless. Or maybe both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Dude that sucks and I've been there. My 2L I took a test- finished what felt like substantially before anyone else. I literally kept rereading the questions wondering why the prof wasn't asking about a few very big topics. After the alarm rang and I was putting the papers back in the folder to hand in- another paper came loose that was attached to the ones I had read. I had missed a 1/3 of the exam. Needless to say, I froze. I put the papers in the pack and as everyone was gossiping about the test I walked into the hall, found a corner, and had my very first panic attack. It was terrible. I know it sounds like an exageration but I'm a horrible test taker to begin with, I had really screwed up my previous semester and I needed these grades to count so I'm not surprised I had the attack. I managed to call my parents and they calmed me down, thank god. THEN: I went straight to the academic dean's office. I knew her (because of my poor grades...) and I tried to hold back the tears, and explained exactly what had happened. She was able to attach a note to my exam explaining that a student (no name obviously) had seen her and the page incident had happened, and if there was any way to count extra points on the previous questions if I hit the topics that I missed on the extra page in them. The teacher did so, I still ended up with a shit grade because I hadn't discussed the stuff on that page, but it is what it is. I'm so sorry that happened to you- try to speak to a dean, NOT ADMIN (useless most of the time) and explain the situation calmly and see if they can do something.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 pm

I mean it sucks, but there isn’t really anything you can do. It was a mistake on your part - perhaps understandable, but still a mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”