Asking to be an RA Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
EminentDumain

New

Asking to be an RA

Post by EminentDumain » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 pm

I’m a 1L interested in being an RA for one of my professors next fall. I had him for a doctrinal class last semester and did pretty well but not amazing, and I have him for an elective this semester. A lot of professors posted listings on our internal job board but I didn’t see one from him.

How/when is the appropriate way/time to broach this subject with him? I have no idea if he actually needs one but out of all my professors, he’s probably my best bet.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Re: Asking to be an RA

Post by BeeTeeZ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:54 am

EminentDumain wrote:I’m a 1L interested in being an RA for one of my professors next fall. I had him for a doctrinal class last semester and did pretty well but not amazing, and I have him for an elective this semester. A lot of professors posted listings on our internal job board but I didn’t see one from him.

How/when is the appropriate way/time to broach this subject with him? I have no idea if he actually needs one but out of all my professors, he’s probably my best bet.
I think the best way to approach an RA is to keep it relatively informal. You are going to see him around school for the next two years, and may even take another class with him; no need to put either of you in an awkward position. I would send him an email asking for a few minutes of his time, keeping it vague. When you meet with him, tell him you loved his class, learned a lot, and would love to be an RA for him should the need arise. Give him a good firm handshake, thank him for his time, and leave it at that.

pi.radians

New

Re: Asking to be an RA

Post by pi.radians » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:13 pm

EminentDumain wrote:I’m a 1L interested in being an RA for one of my professors next fall. I had him for a doctrinal class last semester and did pretty well but not amazing, and I have him for an elective this semester. A lot of professors posted listings on our internal job board but I didn’t see one from him.

I've had luck phrasing it something like this: "If you have any projects that you'd consider appropriate for a law student to help out with, I'd be excited to be involved." That way it won't be awkward if he says he doesn't have anything going on at the moment.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”