Case breif Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
djilg25

New

Case breif

Post by djilg25 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Hello, I am not a law student. I have been reading about a law and "case brief" which is a tool used by students to give an over view of the case.
Does a case brief help in determining possible mistakes in a decision?

I was involved in a decided case Nebraska court case CI 16-148 due to the fact that the civil case went on for a year there is a lot of information and I was wondering if It would be beneficial to find a student to write a case brief on my case and possibly simplify it to possibly aid my understanding and make sense of why the case was decided ? To find any conflicts between testimony and evidence, or if it would be an aid at all?

encore1101

Silver

Re: Case breif

Post by encore1101 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Should probably contact an appellate lawyer if you're looking for mistakes in the proceedings. A case brief will almost never discuss the entire procedural and factual history of a case. Instead, it's an analysis of a decision pertaining to a case. In that regard, a case brief typically won't describe all the motions and court rulings that occurred during the case. Case briefs are limited to the specific issue(s) that was raised or claimed, not a general overview of the entire case.

Beyond that, I'd imagine that most law students would consider your proposal too close to unauthorized practice of law for comfort. Even if you found someone willing to do the task, I wouldn't trust a law student with trying to summarize and simplify what occurred in a case.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”