how do you know whether plagiarism is acceptable for an assignment? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
unclej

New

how do you know whether plagiarism is acceptable for an assignment?

Post by unclej » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:39 pm

how do you know whether plagiarism is acceptable for an assignment?
example: assignment is to draft a contract.
Does your contract have to pass plagiarism checkers?
if you're going to say "ask your teacher" my teacher is one of those people who answer a question with a question and make you even more confused. I am not going to bother.
hmmmm....definition of plagiarism is to pass someone else's work as your own. what if I write at the beginning: this is not my own work. does that clear me of any problems?

encore1101

Silver

Re: how do you know whether plagiarism is acceptable for an assignment?

Post by encore1101 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 am

only your teacher can help you with this

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:48 am

do some soul searching, brother or sister. take some time to yourself and freshen up a bit, then go to your professor and get a better sense of what is expected of you. Most students are probably having questions regarding the law rather than formatting/forming rules right now, so s/he should be able to clear that up for you when you ask.

Ilikecoldweather

New

Post by Ilikecoldweather » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:28 pm

I have never not stolen something from precedent in a contract drafting assignment. I usually start with model forms on Westlaw and tailor them to fulfill the assignment's objectives. It's not like a research paper. Contract language is legally operative. You have to steal from old contracts, especially when SCOTUS rules that "hereby assigns" is an assignment while "agrees to assign" is just a promise to assign in the future. No professor would think you're trying to pass off an assignment clause as your own original expression.

But ask your professor if you're concerned.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:31 pm

unclej wrote:how do you know whether plagiarism is acceptable for an assignment?
example: assignment is to draft a contract.
Does your contract have to pass plagiarism checkers?
if you're going to say "ask your teacher" my teacher is one of those people who answer a question with a question and make you even more confused. I am not going to bother.
hmmmm....definition of plagiarism is to pass someone else's work as your own. what if I write at the beginning: this is not my own work. does that clear me of any problems?
Plagiarism is never acceptable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”