C&F Help Needed! Past Volunteer Work / What is "Employment"? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thrab

New

C&F Help Needed! Past Volunteer Work / What is "Employment"?

Post by thrab » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm applying for the bar in a state that includes "volunteer" work in its definition of "employment" for C&F. Sigh.

On my LS application resume, I included that I volunteered at a church for three months (it was sporadic), and that I was a volunteer note-taker in college (also, sporadic, and my notes were sometimes not used/needed) for a few months. When I was writing the LS app, I threw the note-taker role on there admittedly without really thinking-- I got the dates totally wrong, and I really don't think my undergrad has kept records of what notes I took or anything. It was *very* casual work, as I would have taken the notes anyway. I probably should just never have included it, but I didn't realize that including it would bite me in the ass so hard later.

Problems: 1) all this stuff happened at least 5 years ago, 2) I highly, highly doubt there are records of my work or anyone that can vouch for me doing this stuff and 3) I'm concerned that if I don't mention these on the bar app, the bar app won't match my LS app and it'll raise some massive red flag.

Question(s): Does this stuff seriously need to be included on my bar app under "employment"? Who would they even contact? How bad is it going to look if I write a note to the Bar saying that there is no one there who can attest to my volunteering? What kind of red flag is this going to raise?

Any help is great! Thanks

Tony48

New

Re: C&F Help Needed! Past Volunteer Work / What is "Employment"?

Post by Tony48 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am

I would include it, especially since it's on your law school application. You essentially want your bar app to mirror your law school app.

As for whether it's a big deal....I doubt it. But I would either 1) ask to amend your law school app so you can correct the dates, or 2) just state that you are correcting the dates in your bar application. It's just volunteer experience so I don't think it's a huge priority. Just make sure you are 100% honest about it and you don't have anything to worry about. But I'd ask your adviser just to be sure.

In my application to the bar, I had to list an employer that had no record of me having ever worked for them. I worked there 10 years ago and it was for less than a week. But here's the thing: I let the bar know that this employer had no records of me. You just have to do your due diligence: let the bar know everything you know, and you'll be fine. I assume that the bar didn't care (or that my response was sufficient) because they never made an issue out of it.

thrab

New

Re: C&F Help Needed! Past Volunteer Work / What is "Employment"?

Post by thrab » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Tony48 wrote:I would include it, especially since it's on your law school application. You essentially want your bar app to mirror your law school app.

As for whether it's a big deal....I doubt it. But I would either 1) ask to amend your law school app so you can correct the dates, or 2) just state that you are correcting the dates in your bar application. It's just volunteer experience so I don't think it's a huge priority. Just make sure you are 100% honest about it and you don't have anything to worry about. But I'd ask your adviser just to be sure.

In my application to the bar, I had to list an employer that had no record of me having ever worked for them. I worked there 10 years ago and it was for less than a week. But here's the thing: I let the bar know that this employer had no records of me. You just have to do your due diligence: let the bar know everything you know, and you'll be fine. I assume that the bar didn't care (or that my response was sufficient) because they never made an issue out of it.
Thank you very much for your reply! I had a chat with the school and they said exactly what you did. Also reassured me that it probably wouldn't be an issue. Take care!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”