What is the median at Berkeley? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
juice122

New

What is the median at Berkeley?

Post by juice122 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm wondering what mix of Ps, Hs and HHs is needed for median, top 30%/20%/10% after 1L or 2L?

People are really quite about what they get here, so it's hard to get an idea.

d373

New

Re: What is the median at Berkeley?

Post by d373 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm

juice122 wrote:I'm wondering what mix of Ps, Hs and HHs is needed for median, top 30%/20%/10% after 1L or 2L?

People are really quite about what they get here, so it's hard to get an idea.
No one knows, thats the beauty of it but my guess would be people tend to overestimate. I'd say:

If HHs count as 2, and Hs as 1 (and yes this makes no sense but people do it anyway)...

3 would be median after 1L.

6 would be somewhere around the top, whether 20% or 10% I can't say.

But 2-5 is probably the bulk of the class and in fine shape. Employers don't understand the system and probably can only really guess at the extremes or set an arbitrary hard cutoff (which you either make or don't and there is no point in worrying).

juice122

New

Post by juice122 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm

^^ Thank you!! Does anybody have an idea what that would look like after 2l?

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:16 pm

There are some other threads on here that indicate that an HH was a 5, an H is a 3, and a P is a 1. I forget the estimated numerical average that translated (according to the thread) to either distinction or high distinction. I think maybe an average close to 3.7 was considered to be pretty good...

Of course you need to account for the amount of credits in each class and weigh them appropriately.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”