Accused of Academic Dishonesty but Acquitted After Hearing - Effect on Bar Applications? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RoughlyTerashod

New

Accused of Academic Dishonesty but Acquitted After Hearing - Effect on Bar Applications?

Post by RoughlyTerashod » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I will not give details, but I was accused of academic dishonesty relating to one of my law classes. I opted to defend myself in a hearing and was acquitted by a Panel of professors and students. I'm sure I'll need to report this to the Bar when I apply. I'm curious about what that process might look like? Do I submit the "Charging" document from the honor council and the "hearing form" where it states the grounds for hearing and the acquittal? Will I need to submit my evidence, etc.? Anyone have any knowledge on this? Very happy that I was (rightfully) found to be innocent, just curious on what that process might look like in the future. Thanks!
Last edited by RoughlyTerashod on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcmand

Silver

Re: Accused of Academic Dishonesty but Acquitted After Hearing - Effect on Bar Applications?

Post by mcmand » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Definitely both documents you mentioned. They will want to inquire with others for more detail so they'll probably ask for names of the relevant administrators at your school for that process.

I would just make a nice indexed copy of everything you have on this, submit the two documents you mentioned, and if they ask for more, you have something ready made and organized you can give them.

Oh and type up your own explanation that you can attach to the application. You should summarize the timeline of events, the accusations, the process, your defense, and the result. Since you were acquitted, don't do what most C&F folks need to do, which is explain how they learned x from the experience and how they will be fit to be lawyers. If you just summarize the facts and the end result and attach the relevant documents and names of anyone who they can talk to, that should be enough.

Make sure this is disclosed to your law school already. They will get your app and other docs from your law school and compare to your bar application, and a failure to disclose is absolutely something they can pin you on.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Accused of Academic Dishonesty but Acquitted After Hearing - Effect on Bar Applications?

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:07 pm

mcmand wrote:Definitely both documents you mentioned. They will want to inquire with others for more detail so they'll probably ask for names of the relevant administrators at your school for that process.

I would just make a nice indexed copy of everything you have on this, submit the two documents you mentioned, and if they ask for more, you have something ready made and organized you can give them.

Oh and type up your own explanation that you can attach to the application. You should summarize the timeline of events, the accusations, the process, your defense, and the result. Since you were acquitted, don't do what most C&F folks need to do, which is explain how they learned x from the experience and how they will be fit to be lawyers. If you just summarize the facts and the end result and attach the relevant documents and names of anyone who they can talk to, that should be enough.

Make sure this is disclosed to your law school already. They will get your app and other docs from your law school and compare to your bar application, and a failure to disclose is absolutely something they can pin you on.
I read this as it occurred in law school, so his law school already knows.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoughlyTerashod

New

Post by RoughlyTerashod » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:30 pm

You are correct, this was a law school proceeding, so the law school is fully aware. My name has been kept anonymous through the entire process, but the hearing panel and Delegate of the Dean (the Prof. that conducted the hearing) do know my identity. I would probably list that prof. (the delegate) as the contact for the bar. They would have any relevant details about the proceedings and would be able to supply any information the bar requests about the proceedings.

I have kept all of my materials, including any E-mails w/ the honor council, the "Charging Document", their evidence, my evidence, etc. Like the previous poster said, I'll make sure to hold onto that and catalog it for when the time comes so that I can provide it on request. I think that sounds like a solid plan. Not overly worried about it due to the result of the process, but I do want to be prepared and very candid with the bar about disclosing.
Last edited by RoughlyTerashod on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RoughlyTerashod

New

Post by RoughlyTerashod » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:35 pm

mcmand wrote:Definitely both documents you mentioned. They will want to inquire with others for more detail so they'll probably ask for names of the relevant administrators at your school for that process.

That all sounds very good. Just to clarify, this happened in law school, not undergrad, so the law school is fully aware of everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”