Another "received grades, need advice" thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrSam

Bronze

Another "received grades, need advice" thread

Post by MrSam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm sure you're all sick of reading these, but here we go:

Background: 1L at a lower T14. First semester grades came out, 3.0 GPA (probably bottom 1/3 of class). Didn't perform as well as I had hoped, but probably received the grades I deserve. Will be speaking with professors to see what I did wrong.
Not sure if this matters, but I do have friends and family who work in the legal field. All attorneys. Some in Biglaw, some at small firms, and 1 working at the office that I am most interested in.

Career goals: Not interested in Biglaw. Not in the slightest. Will I ever be? Maybe, but, probably not. More interested in either becoming a prosecutor for a county back home (competitive since they pay well, relative to similar positions at other offices), or doing something related to health law. Have also considered JAG.

Debt: Here's where I screwed up. I'm walking out with 6 figures of debt. Yes, I know, should've attended a lower-ranked school with a generous scholarship. Probably looking at $200k, including living expenses.

Any general advice on how to proceed would be appreciated!

P.S. Yes, I still want to become an attorney. And yes, I could drop out, go for my Masters, and make a somewhat comfortable living in a field that I'm not too interested in.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: Another "received grades, need advice" thread

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm

definitely don't drop out. if you want to be a prosecutor, be a prosecutor. Go on PAYE and you should be fine.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:23 pm

You're fine. You're at a T14. If you want biglaw, you can get it. If you want to go for JAG, do it. I got accepted to both JAG AND biglaw with a 3.0 from a T20.

Don't drop out.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 pm

I had a 3.0 after first semester at a lower T14. It sucked. Had to work my ass off second semester and third semester. Your GPA will go up, and it's certainly not a barrier to getting the job you want. You will most likely not end law school with a 3.0.

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks everyone, for the words of encouragement!
Just spoke with my family member, who works in the prosecutor's office mentioned in my initial post. He assured me that I should be fine. No guarantee that i'll get the job after law school, but apparently this 1L first semester 3.0 shouldn't hinder my chances by much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”