1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread 2017 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread 2017

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Then again this one was open book so beating the curve is going to be tough because everyone in my class had all the knowledge they needed for the exam at their fingertips

but it was open book so I'm skeptical I was able to find things my classmates couldn't.

I don’t think that’s true about open book tests. If anything I think open book can trip people up if they think they can look everything up. I don’t know what your exams were like but all of mine were open book. I know that if I had to stop to look up a third of the things I talked about I wouldn’t have had time to come anywhere close to finishing. I even had an 8 hour take home test and if I had been trying to learn it all while writing the exam I never would have finished (though this take home also was not testing black letter law it was testing ability to apply existing rules and precedents to new fact patterns that haven’t been decided yet).
Wow and here I was thinking closed book was the norm! Yeah I think I fell into this trap for Torts, but if there's three questions and I did the first two really well and then the third I gave brief but correct answers though I missed some I'm trying to convince myself I'll be in a better place than those who did better on the third question and sped through the first two. I had no trouble finishing the closed book exams so I think my anecdotal experience supports the concept that open book exams are a curse in regards to time.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... n#p9886775

Lol
Isn’t this a little the pot calling the kettle black?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Then again this one was open book so beating the curve is going to be tough because everyone in my class had all the knowledge they needed for the exam at their fingertips

but it was open book so I'm skeptical I was able to find things my classmates couldn't.

I don’t think that’s true about open book tests. If anything I think open book can trip people up if they think they can look everything up. I don’t know what your exams were like but all of mine were open book. I know that if I had to stop to look up a third of the things I talked about I wouldn’t have had time to come anywhere close to finishing. I even had an 8 hour take home test and if I had been trying to learn it all while writing the exam I never would have finished (though this take home also was not testing black letter law it was testing ability to apply existing rules and precedents to new fact patterns that haven’t been decided yet).
Wow and here I was thinking closed book was the norm! Yeah I think I fell into this trap for Torts, but if there's three questions and I did the first two really well and then the third I gave brief but correct answers though I missed some I'm trying to convince myself I'll be in a better place than those who did better on the third question and sped through the first two. I had no trouble finishing the closed book exams so I think my anecdotal experience supports the concept that open book exams are a curse in regards to time.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... n#p9886775

Lol
Yeah my choosing thread was long. That was a mixture of me being stubborn and people weirdly finding elements of my decision making process entertaining. Was glad if it could make someone laugh during this stressful time though! Hope your exams went well!! Bored af right now, what are my fellow 1L peers up to during this month?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I’m a bit tardy to this party, but To be fair, I personally found the TLS hive mind to be very helpful when waiting for 1L grades, as your classmates may only serve to increase your stress/ anxiety even if they do so unintentionally.

Just do whatever works best for you.

johnnysacks

New

Post by johnnysacks » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 am

Just got back my Crim Law (A-) and Contracts grade.(B+) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I hope the curve is gracious to yall!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:25 am

johnnysacks wrote:Just got back my Crim Law (A-) and Contracts grade.(B+) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I hope the curve is gracious to yall!
Congrats!!! Go celebrate!

Also very jealous you already got some of your grades. The next two weeks not knowing when they’re coming in are going to be brutal :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 am

mcmand wrote:There's a difference between talking about your feelings of stress and anxiety and working through them and rehashing/ruminating the answers to an exam that you can no longer change.

The former is healthy and useful for coping. The latter is a symptom of an anxiety disorder, or at a minimum, an unhealthy habit that will make you more miserable.

You don't have to believe us or take our unsolicited advice. But the therapist you'll see (if you aren't already), either in a few months or a few years, will end up telling you the same.

Being defensive about someone pointing out your unhealthy behavior is not productive. Cav may have been a little blunt but he's not wrong.

I'm out. Take this or leave it.
:roll:

Good grief, TLS can be dramatic. Haven't seen anything therapy-inducing in this thread. I've even gotten sucked into discussions with classmates about exams. Not super fun and wouldn't recommend, but it's not a big deal and certainly isn't traumatizing.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 pm

johnnysacks wrote:Just got back my Crim Law (A-) and Contracts grade.(B+) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I hope the curve is gracious to yall!
Congratulations! Still got nothing:(

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:48 pm

Did you guys like your first semester classes? Any classes you thought you’d like but ended up hating or any classes you thought weren’t going to be for you but ended up being your favorite class?

I was not expecting to like Civil Prodcedure as much as I did!

EminentDumain

New

Post by EminentDumain » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 pm

WTF still waiting on grades here.
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Did you guys like your first semester classes? Any classes you thought you’d like but ended up hating or any classes you thought weren’t going to be for you but ended up being your favorite class?

I liked first semester a lot. Sometimes sitting in class could be boring, but the concepts themselves were interesting and when I finally understood complicated topics it was really rewarding.

I *think* I liked CivPro a lot more than I expected. I felt good walking away from the exam, so if I did well, then I will have enjoyed the class. If I did not do well, I probably will look back and not have enjoyed it. Not because I'm being bitter or petty, but more because if I did poorly, it means whatever I thought I knew about the subject was wrong, and therefore whatever I found interesting was not actually the case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

basketofbread

New

Post by basketofbread » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Did you guys like your first semester classes? Any classes you thought you’d like but ended up hating or any classes you thought weren’t going to be for you but ended up being your favorite class?

CivPro was a lot more fun than it sounds like to the uninitiated. It was the class that felt the most like a puzzle. It was a good feeling to untangle a rule after staring at it uncomprehendingly hours before. My CivPro prof was a big cold caller though, and would stick with kids who clearly didn't know the answer she wanted. It was uncomfortable and pretty tedious, but I suppose it's ultimately for our benefit. She's an excellent professor though. I thought it was cool that she capped the semester off with Erie, since it's sort of a meta reflection on the FRCP.

My torts professor was fucking hilarious - like genuinely at the level of a professional comedian. Also an incredible speaker. I would sometimes get chills at the end of his lectures.

I liked the contrast of the ancient topic of torts with the modern FRCP.

All in all I had a positive experience, until I get my grades at which point I will look on this as a crock of shit.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 pm

buncha nerds itt loving civpro.

(loved civ pro)

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:07 pm

It's kinda frustrating that law school resumes in less than two weeks and we still don't have our grades. I was reading my school's academic policy and I wonder what it must be like for someone who buys all their books for the upcoming semester, only to find out less than 10 days before the start of the semester that they're on academic probation, academically dismissed, that they lost their scholarship, etc. Or even the person who does great, only to find out they need to investigate a clerical error in grading entry/submission. I personally don't have any of those concerns, but it doesn't seem useful to have the dates we find our grades out so close to the start date. Particularly when exams ended in middle of December, although I get it's a lot of work for professors.

Also, I agree that 1Ls can handle any anxiety that might arise from talking about grades, and that it can be more useful to discuss with others not neceasarily from the same school while waiting. It doesn't preclude enjoyment of the break, relaxation, or productivity.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 pm

NYCounsel wrote:It's kinda frustrating that law school resumes in less than two weeks and we still don't have our grades.
I'm not getting fall grades until the 2nd day of spring classes... :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 pm

NYCounsel wrote:It's kinda frustrating that law school resumes in less than two weeks and we still don't have our grades.
Didn't get my grades last year until end of the first week even into the second week fwiw

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:48 am

nobody fails you out after one semester; they put you on probation. if they give you the boot they miss out on an entire semester's worth of tuition for nothing.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 am

pancakes3 wrote:nobody fails you out after one semester; they put you on probation. if they give you the boot they miss out on an entire semester's worth of tuition for nothing.
This. And good law schools don't do academic dismissals at all (or if they do, only in extremely rare circumstances).

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:nobody fails you out after one semester; they put you on probation. if they give you the boot they miss out on an entire semester's worth of tuition for nothing.
This. And good law schools don't do academic dismissals at all (or if they do, only in extremely rare circumstances).
During orientation my school told us that if people struggle academically after first semester they will get those students tutoring/academic help for second semester. Seems like they legitimately do want students to do well. Not naive though- I know that they also want students to stay and keep paying tuition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks for clarifying all! Thankfully my wait is over so I can leave this thread with my head held ambivalently high. Kept above the curve.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Good luck to everyone still waiting. It's a maddening and sometimes never-ending process: I had one grade arrive in February when I was a 1L :roll:

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Columbia sends you an email the day after the grade is actually posted with the title "Grade(s) Posted". Of course the two times I have received these emails they have been for a single class and those two were the pass/fail classes that nobody fails :lol: . This is awful!

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 pm

my school's admin is laughably slow on grades so

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EminentDumain

New

Post by EminentDumain » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Do professors tend to submit over the weekends?

Still haven't gotten a single grade. I'm losing my damn mind here haha.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:05 pm

No grades here yet either.

I felt good after exams ended too. This week I have had the worst and most foreboding feeling in the world. Feel like I did awfully. Almost don’t want them to come anymore.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:05 pm

No grades here yet either.

I felt good after exams ended too. This week I have had the worst and most foreboding feeling in the world. Feel like I did awfully. Almost don’t want them to come anymore.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:03 am

I won't get grades until the middle of the month most likely. It's going to be so hard to focus on new courses when I won't know if my study habits served me well or not. :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”