Are CLS Students Allowed to Contact Professors after Exams? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CLS1990

New

Are CLS Students Allowed to Contact Professors after Exams?

Post by CLS1990 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I know that you're not supposed to discuss the exam with them before you get your grade back because it could ruin anonymity. However, are we allowed to speak to them about something non-exam related?

thanks

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Are CLS Students Allowed to Contact Professors after Exams?

Post by dabigchina » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Sounds reasonable to me.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:47 am

Maybe run it by academic services

CLS1990

New

Post by CLS1990 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks, guys

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 pm

If it's not urgent, I would still wait until exam grades post. If nothing else the professor will be so busy grading exams on top of their normal workload that they may not have time to speak with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:26 pm

There's a CLS thread to ask questions: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... start=4975

Also just wait nothing to be gained from talking pre-grade unless extremely urgent
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Definitely wait if this is about a rec letter. You don't want to ask for a rec letter and then find out you got a B.

CLS1990

New

Post by CLS1990 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:05 pm

What about asking them to be a reference for a firm job whose app is due on the 30th of December?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 pm

CLS1990 wrote:What about asking them to be a reference for a firm job whose app is due on the 30th of December?
Ask your LPW prof
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KingWolf72

New

Post by KingWolf72 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Are you a 1L? If so, I'm assuming that this is not for a clerkship (or a job that would require the professor to write a recommendation). I know several people who asked professors about that before grades. It's not a big deal and, as long as you participated in class and have given the professor nice things to say about you, it's not a bad idea. The wise thing to have done, would have been to go to their office hours before you left campus and asked in person.

Not to hijack the post, but what do folks think about emailing professors after classes to say thank you? Especially if you really enjoyed the class and developed a strong relationship with the professor.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 am

KingWolf72 wrote:Are you a 1L? If so, I'm assuming that this is not for a clerkship (or a job that would require the professor to write a recommendation). I know several people who asked professors about that before grades. It's not a big deal and, as long as you participated in class and have given the professor nice things to say about you, it's not a bad idea. The wise thing to have done, would have been to go to their office hours before you left campus and asked in person.

Not to hijack the post, but what do folks think about emailing professors after classes to say thank you? Especially if you really enjoyed the class and developed a strong relationship with the professor.
Any thank you email should be sent after grades post, otherwise it will be seen as transparently self-serving, even if if that's not the intention behind it. Even then, you should have office hours experiences or specific exchanges to reference to make it a meaningful thank you email.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Just to thank them seems weird and pathetic. Reach out if you want to serve as TA or RA.
KingWolf72 wrote:Are you a 1L? If so, I'm assuming that this is not for a clerkship (or a job that would require the professor to write a recommendation). I know several people who asked professors about that before grades. It's not a big deal and, as long as you participated in class and have given the professor nice things to say about you, it's not a bad idea. The wise thing to have done, would have been to go to their office hours before you left campus and asked in person.

KingWolf72

New

Post by KingWolf72 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Wild Card wrote:Just to thank them seems weird and pathetic. Reach out if you want to serve as TA or RA.

Yeah, I hear you. Is reaching out to be a TA appropriate if you have yet to receive your grade?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 pm

KingWolf72 wrote:Yeah, I hear you. Is reaching out to be a TA appropriate if you have yet to receive your grade?
Probably not, unless Columbia professors have weird ways of selecting TAs. All the TAs in my classes have been students who aced the exam. It wouldn't make much sense to not require that.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 pm

KingWolf72 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:Just to thank them seems weird and pathetic. Reach out if you want to serve as TA or RA.

Yeah, I hear you. Is reaching out to be a TA appropriate if you have yet to receive your grade?
Just wait. It would be embarrassing to offer to TA and then get a B or even a B+ in the class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”