Torts: product liability Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
connordalto

Bronze

Torts: product liability

Post by connordalto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi all, quick question about product liability.

I'm confused about when to argue the 2nd Restatement versus the 3rd Restatement in a prima facie products liability case. Should we be arguing both in the alternative for the plaintiff, or should we argue the 2nd for the plaintiff and use the 3rd to rebut the plaintiffs prima facie case as the defense?

Also, should you be arguing manufacturing, design defects or failure to warn explicitly under the 2nd Restatement?

Let me know if you need any clarity on these questions. Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Torts: product liability

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am

This is 100% professor/jurisdiction-dependent. But there are three possibilities:

1. Your professor will tell you how they expect you to reconcile the R2 and R3 approaches.
2. Your professor will tell you which approach should be applied to each relevant question on the exam.
3. Your professor will expect you to know some of the different state approaches and use those states as settings for different fact patterns.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm

I agree this is question dependent. Assuming the question is stateless (applying other jurisdiction's doctrine) the rationale in our class is that manufacturers must comply with all jurisdictions as they could brought to suit any, so we're usually arguing both in the alternative for the plaintiff. I also think you'll be fine arguing manufacturing/design/warning under the second as those concerns go into the analysis of if it was unreasonably dangerous anyway.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 am

i still can't decide whether profs do a bad job of explaining what restatements are, or if 1Ls are too dumb to understand.

deliciouss

New

Post by deliciouss » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:05 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i still can't decide whether profs do a bad job of explaining what restatements are, or if 1Ls are too dumb to understand.
I will help you decide: law professors are completely useless. I don't know what I would do without Emmanuel, seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”