Interning with DOJ under Trump Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
paisa_sandia

New

Interning with DOJ under Trump

Post by paisa_sandia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:41 pm

What are y'all's thoughts about interning with the DOJ under Trump/Sessions? I'm a 1L planning on pursuing a career in criminal defense/post-conviction appeal, and in an abstract sense DOJ Civil Rights would be a useful experience to have, I would think. That said, I wonder if a lot of organizations that I might apply to in the future would be skeptical of working at the DOJ under a president and AG who are deeply skeptical of criminal justice reform.

I recognize this is a political question and it will have a political answer. I'm just curious what people's thoughts are. Thanks!

xtremenite

New

Re: Interning with DOJ under Trump

Post by xtremenite » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Most of the people in the DOJ are civil servants who are far removed from politics and do non-political stuff. Lawyers know and understand this.

Nobody will care about who the President was during your internship.

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 pm

xtremenite wrote:Most of the people in the DOJ are civil servants who are far removed from politics and do non-political stuff. Lawyers know and understand this.

Nobody will care about who the President was during your internship.
Completely agree. Most if not all the attorneys you will likely interact with will be career attorneys and don't really change position based on party. Some enforcement priorities certainly change, but those are high-level decisions.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:33 pm

Agree with both the above posts, but I'm not sure that the Civil Rights division is really where you'd get the best experience for criminal defense/post-conviction appeal.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Agree with both the above posts, but I'm not sure that the Civil Rights division is really where you'd get the best experience for criminal defense/post-conviction appeal.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:04 am

Yeah if you wanna work in criminal defense, work in criminal defense, not civil prosecution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”