Starting to have anxiety attacks after teacher released midterm grades... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CoLolliRol

New

Starting to have anxiety attacks after teacher released midterm grades...

Post by CoLolliRol » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 am

So basically my midterm was worth 40% of my grade. I thought I did fair on it but I completely, mixed up the analysis on my last question. Long Story short I received the lowest grade in my class-- about 10 points below the median (max points= 40).

Anyways, with the final coming up and being worth 60% am I screwed? I would be satisfied with being average or slightly below for my total grade. But is this even realistically possible given my embarrassing grades on the final?

The final isn't cumulative, and it's short answer.

Basically, my problem was I spotted the issues. I just failed to analyze them fully

cavalier1138

Re: Starting to have anxiety attacks after teacher released midterm grades...

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:58 am

The answer is that no one knows and it shouldn't change your next steps in the slightest.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 am

Should prob find ways to manage your anxiety. This is only the begining of a ton of stress to come. Good luck.

Mrs Featherbottom

New

Post by Mrs Featherbottom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 am

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that because you did poorly on your midterm, you'll have the same result on the final. I know several people my 1L year who did mediocre on finals during Fall 1L (myself included) who ended up above median overall. I think many of us don't grasp the understanding necessary for good analysis until the outlining stage, which will almost always occur after midterms.

Mrs Featherbottom

New

Post by Mrs Featherbottom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 am

mvp99 wrote:Should prob find ways to manage your anxiety. This is only the begining of a ton of stress to come. Good luck.
Super helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:20 am

Mrs Featherbottom wrote:
mvp99 wrote:Should prob find ways to manage your anxiety. This is only the begining of a ton of stress to come. Good luck.
Super helpful.
Not sure if sarcastic but have you ever had an anxiety attack? It's serious shit and should be addressed now.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:23 am

use the stress but don't fall into distress.

the facts are what they are and you're still ultimately in control wrt your final, and the finals in other classes. spiraling is the worst thing you can do right now. learn from your mistakes and fix your mistakes. you gotta move forward and don't dwell on this. it's not ideal, but it's not fatal.

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Holy shit. You go to a school where you get a midterm AND a final?

That's freaking fantastic.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:44 pm

muscleboundlaw wrote:Holy shit. You go to a school where you get a midterm AND a final?

That's freaking fantastic.
A midterm and final is not at all uncommon. Varies more by class/professor than it does by school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Really? I thought that one final was common.

Damn. I would love to have a midterm and a final.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:00 pm

CoLolliRol wrote:So basically my midterm was worth 40% of my grade. I thought I did fair on it but I completely, mixed up the analysis on my last question. Long Story short I received the lowest grade in my class-- about 10 points below the median (max points= 40).

Anyways, with the final coming up and being worth 60% am I screwed? I would be satisfied with being average or slightly below for my total grade. But is this even realistically possible given my embarrassing grades on the final?

Basically, my problem was I spotted the issues. I just failed to analyze them fully
You're not screwed, just keep at it. One thing that helped my friends is using the word "because" frequently. Use it like 50 times in your exam. It will force an application of the rule

"sandy is guilty of tort BECAUSE xyz. she may have a slight chance of prevailing in her defense BECAUSE 123"

Seriously, use because like every other sentence and you should be good.

Well, that and knowing the actual material.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:19 pm

CoLolliRol wrote:So basically my midterm was worth 40% of my grade. I thought I did fair on it but I completely, mixed up the analysis on my last question. Long Story short I received the lowest grade in my class-- about 10 points below the median (max points= 40).

You are going to be ok! Just make sure you analyze the issues fully this time around using whatever template your professor gave you when he/she reviewed the midterm. You've put your finger on the problem with your exam, which is the toughest part. Your performance previously isn't going to be a predictor unless you make it one by not changing your approach. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to psych you out. You are in control of how you prepare for and take the test and can therefore create a different outcome.

Separately, make sure you take time to address your anxiety. Meditate. Exercise. Set up a routine for test day and run through it in the days preceding the test. Know you are not alone. Plenty of other people start off on the wrong foot and redeem themselves at the finish line :).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”