Full Tests or Outlines? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
VirginiaFan

New

Full Tests or Outlines?

Post by VirginiaFan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm at the point in my studying where I'm taking practice tests, and I was wondering what the best way to approach them is. I've taken two tests all the way through (3 hours) and I was burnt out for a day or two. So now I've been outlining practice questions, just bulleting the issues and the cases/arguments underneath.

Any thoughts?

cavalier1138

Re: Full Tests or Outlines?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm

You know yourself best. The strongest argument for actually writing out full answers is to get used to the time constraints. Unless the professor decides to radically switch things up this year (they won't), you need to be familiar with how fast you need to write your answer, which issues you will have time to hit, etc.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Pretty much what cavalier said. On the other hand, you only have so much time to study. The sweet spot could be writing out one or two full answers for each subject each day, but maybe not doing a full test, so you don't burn out for that day and can keep grinding through other material.

You're just going to have to try different ways and find out what works for you.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:40 pm

i think there are diminishing returns to doing multiple PT's fully. that, plus the time constraints, and the fact that PTs are draining as hell, if you're able to take 1-2 full tests for each of your subjects, imo that's enough.

JDAdvisingLLC

New

Post by JDAdvisingLLC » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Great question!

What I used to do which I found helpful (and not so exhausting) was I would take the test in pieces -- e.g. do one essay question (and time myself) then closely study the model answer or sample answer to make sure I hit on all the key points. Then I would take a break and do the second essay question.

If you feel comfortable with your timing and your ability to write a full answer to a question then bulleting the issues and cases/arguments is a good idea as you can get exposed to more questions that way. Just make sure you look at the sample or model answer after you bullet what you think the answer is so you can ensure you are on the right track.

I am glad you are doing practice questions and so many students don't do them and it is a great way to score high on law school final exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”