My Failing Out Of Law School Experience Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jasperjones

New

My Failing Out Of Law School Experience

Post by jasperjones » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:48 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hand

Gold

Re: My Failing Out Of Law School Experience

Post by Hand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Manali, is that you?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Mods can you please sticky this topic? info here is invaluable

OP - do you have any non-law life lessons you can bestow upon us?

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm

-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Op-

If you don’t mind, what kind of habits left you where you were?

I have a similar history (3.2/165), and have definitely not worked as hard as some of these other guys (I have kept up with the reading, understood the material, etc, but I haven’t been slaving away and it makes me uncomfortable). I do enjoy the reading and research aspects of it, but I can’t gauge if these other guys want it more due to their ability to slave away, and my relative lack of worry about not doing the same.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Congrats on pursuing something that will ultimately make you happier. Yeah, it sucks failing at anything, but I think you'll be much happier in the long run.

Good luck, op!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:43 pm

-

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:45 am

Ok, this was kind of cute as a warning thread to 0Ls, but maybe stop trying to offer actual advice to students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Ok, this was kind of cute as a warning thread to 0Ls, but maybe stop trying to offer actual advice to students.
I appreciated it from the perspective that I got to see where we were similar. I think this thread is a good one.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 am

muscleboundlaw wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Ok, this was kind of cute as a warning thread to 0Ls, but maybe stop trying to offer actual advice to students.
I appreciated it from the perspective that I got to see where we were similar. I think this thread is a good one.
I mean, it's good in the sense that the OP doesn't have a crushing amount of debt and has figured out that the law isn't for them. It's good as a warning to 0Ls that you should only go to law school if you want to be a lawyer.

But you're seriously seeking advice from someone who flunked out? The OP knows as much about how to get decent grades in law school as I know about how to win a gold medal in bobsledding (I've seen "Cool Runnings").

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
muscleboundlaw wrote:
I mean, it's good in the sense that the OP doesn't have a crushing amount of debt and has figured out that the law isn't for them. It's good as a warning to 0Ls that you should only go to law school if you want to be a lawyer.

But you're seriously seeking advice from someone who flunked out? The OP knows as much about how to get decent grades in law school as I know about how to win a gold medal in bobsledding (I've seen "Cool Runnings").
That wasn't really an advice for studying question. I just wanted to know if we were on a similar path. I am just a somewhat nervous 1L. He gave me some clarity in terms of knowing that I am not doing things in a way that would lead me to failure.

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:39 am

The biggest shock to me here is that there are law schools out there that would give a $30K/year scholly to someone with a 155 lsat and 2.7 gpa. Yikes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

muscleboundlaw

Bronze

Post by muscleboundlaw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 am

Gunner19 wrote:The biggest shock to me here is that there are law schools out there that would give a $30K/year scholly to someone with a 155 lsat and 2.7 gpa. Yikes.
I have made the conclusions that schools, who carry the "we will give you X amount so long as you stay in the top Y percentage of the class", are hedging their bets on most falling below the curve and then receiving full tuition in the end. It's a good strategy. That's why you only go to the school with guaranteed money if your history doesn't show an above average performance tract.

Okay, this isn't a grand conclusion. It's obvious to all of us that that's what they're doing.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Gunner19 wrote:The biggest shock to me here is that there are law schools out there that would give a $30K/year scholly to someone with a 155 lsat and 2.7 gpa. Yikes.
I was slightly more shocked that the OP still referred to the school as "a good Philadelphia law school."

awe

New

Post by awe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Ok. Deep breath. Thank you!

By the way, you are an excellent writer :-)

Wishing you the best of luck in the future!

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm

-

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:17 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:25 pm

jasperjones wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I was slightly more shocked that the OP still referred to the school as "a good Philadelphia law school."
Believe it or not, it is. And it didn't give me 30k right out the gate. I narrowed my schools down to two selections and told school X that school Y was offering me 15k, which was more than X was offering me, and provided X documentation demonstrating as much and asked if X could increase. They did. Then provided Y with documentation demonstrating that X increased and asked Y if they could increase their scholarship offer, which they did. Ultimately X increased to 30k. Not sure if other students are leveraging their schools' offers against each other but it was a great way for me to maximize my scholarship offer.
I don't believe it.

I mainly don't believe it because you can only be talking about one or two schools in the area, and no school in Philly with good employment outcomes is taking students with your numbers, let alone with scholarships. Odds are that if you'd stayed, you probably would have had an excellent chance of still not having a job as a practicing lawyer.

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Got a chuckle there as well. Figured Temple was far worse off than I thought because we know damn well OP wasn't talking Upenn...

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:48 pm

jasperjones wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
jasperjones wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Believe it or not, it is. And it didn't give me 30k right out the gate. I narrowed my schools down to two selections and told school X that school Y was offering me 15k, which was more than X was offering me, and provided X documentation demonstrating as much and asked if X could increase. They did. Then provided Y with documentation demonstrating that X increased and asked Y if they could increase their scholarship offer, which they did. Ultimately X increased to 30k. Not sure if other students are leveraging their schools' offers against each other but it was a great way for me to maximize my scholarship offer.
I don't believe it.

I mainly don't believe it because you can only be talking about one or two schools in the area, and no school in Philly with good employment outcomes is taking students with your numbers, let alone with scholarships. Odds are that if you'd stayed, you probably would have had an excellent chance of still not having a job as a practicing lawyer.
To not believe it is your prerogative, and based on the admissions statistics I was surprised to get accepted to the school I went to; I was toward the low end of the GPA-LSAT scores of accepted students. But to say that "no school in Philly with good employment outcomes is taking students with your numbers, let alone with scholarships," not only isn't fair if you don't know the school I'm talking about, but it's simply not true. "The National Law Journal has ranked [redacted] #30 on its list of Top 50 Law Schools, based on employment outcomes for the Class of 2016."
Lol, nice redaction...after a simple google search we now all know you're talking about Drexel, which, in the rankings that 99% of people pay attention to, is a TTT. You just proved our point.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Are you sure you aren't Manali?

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Also, not sure where NLJ got those numbers, but according to their ABA disclosures, Drexel put 14 people out of a class of 147 at firms with 100-500+ lawyers. Im not saying Big Law is the end all be all, but those numbers are abysmal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”