My Failing Out Of Law School Experience Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
b290

Bronze

Re: My Failing Out Of Law School Experience

Post by b290 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
jasperjones wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:fuck this thread. OP now has a bunch of 1L's a freaking out that they're not prepping enough. OP claims that he's trying to help others that have failed by sharing his experiences but he's not.

He's offered zero info on his life after failing and only provided a bunch of armchair study advice for studying while in law school.

Having dogshit class notes and only prepping via an outline is absolutely sufficient to do well in exams. I don't know what else the OP is holding out on but skipping readings and not taking class notes is not the reason he failed. (like, there aren't even any class notes to be had in LRW).
Pancakes, having “dogshit” notes and only preparing an outline is sufficient to succeed on exams? I guess you came into law school with more natural gifts than me, and if you succeeded preparing that way, then kudos, but that’s not a tip I would give to any student, no matter how gifted they are. Anyway, as I mentioned before, that was not the extent my preparation, or lack of it. What you’re not mentioning, as I did, was my intermittent attendance and failure to keep up with the readings. Still, I cannot see a law student having success in school preparing the way I did, which I’ve recommended any student seeking success in school against doing, or the way you seem to be.
this why your thread is toxic. you're in no position to give tips about law school success. i don't know about natural gifts but there are dozens of posters on this site spanning dozens of schools who prepped for finals solely by virtue of making an outline. there are many who don't even make outlines (especially 2Ls and 3Ls). you doing poorly your first semester and then doing worse your second semester means there is something fundamentally flawed in your legal reasoning that has little to do with preparation.

you're just assuming that since you observed your classmates working harder than you and had better class notes then that must be the difference-maker when truthfully it is probably something different all together.

basically it boils down to what you're trying to accomplish with this thread.
- if it's to create a safe place for others who failed out and can come commiserate, you've failed by placing the focus on you giving out study tips rather than focusing on how there is life after law school, and that success is not dependent on LS grades (which I fully support).
- if it's for you to share your story as a cautionary tale for 0L's before they go to law school, you've failed also. instead of us pulling teeth with you and getting to the root of your motivational issues (your passion for fitness or whatever) you should have led with it.
- if it's for you to share your wisdom on 1L studying, then you can just sit on your advice bc it really isn't necessary as there are more qualified posters to address that issue than you.

there is no doubt that you have to prepare for finals, but the universal consensus is that whatever prep you put in during September and October account for like 5% of your grades. the real work comes in November and December with your outline. That alone will get most students to the median grade. Doing practice exams, going to the prof and talking things out, and whatever natural gifts that match with the demands of writing an exam pushes it to getting A's.
THANK YOU!!! Pancakes, you deserve a drink on me :lol:

Piggybacking. You write to your audience, that’s a fundamental skill for lawyering (and life). You can’t have an idea what your prof (your grader) wants...if you’re not in class.

OP, your posts are also telling - a lot of material, but little that’s on point. I have a good feeling that your essays were similar. That means your exam timing was fucked, which points to disorganization. That comes from lack of proper practice, which is still rooted in laziness.

You’ve already proven that you can’t follow through on what you start. That must end when you join the Coast Guard. The military is far tougher than law school and has little tolerance for quitting.

My $.02

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:45 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 pm

jasperjones wrote:Of course I'm writing to my audience: those who've failed out of law school and haven't gone back and graduated or are in danger of failing out. Maybe the thread isn't resonating with you because you're not my target audience.
The “writing to your audience” bit refers to legal writing. The way you write to your prof, your supervising attorney, your clients, et al., depends on their requirements. That means making the effort to know what they are. You obviously didn’t because...you’ve failed out.

Any misinterpretations on your writing is your fault and responsibility. Instead, you make excuses, and try to deflect criticism. FYI, being unwilling to take advice from the more experienced is EXACTLY how you fail at law school (and life). Arguing with superiors is great way to be dismissed from the military.

If your post wasn’t meant as an advisory tale, why write it at all? By your “audience” self-defense, you admit it as such. People call you out because you’re in absolutely no position to advise 1Ls (or even 0Ls), especially in light of the above. Using any advice from you (at this stage) is like looking to the Cleveland Browns for examples of NFL success.

I personally know how shitty failing out of law school is. But as someone who went back there, I know that the other posters are 100% correct. I’m instantly more qualified than you in this arena, but you don’t see me advising 1Ls on the “wisdom of law school”. Come back in a few years when you’ve actually fixed what made you to fail out.

People are giving you useful life lessons here. Sit down and take notes (for once).

My $.02

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 pm

-
Last edited by jasperjones on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 pm

jasperjones wrote:In writing the original post I didn't see my experiences before and after law school as relevant to my failing out of law school experience (although I did describe my undergrad study habits), hence, the title of the thread.

My recitation of my experience was to provide a place for a student who may be in the position in which I was to know that someone else has been in their position, for them to hear my experience and know that if they choose to try to turn things around there are resources at their school or on this site they can use to affect change, and if they think this path is not right for them that someone (me) has pursued a different, more positive path, in my, personal experience.
How were you going to reconcile the first bolded/underlined withe the second?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Whatever your intent was is sorta irrelevant now. This thread has helped no one and at best serves as a warning to 0L's to make sure you actually want to go to law school before you get reamed out by 3 years worth of debt.

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 pm

-

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 pm

I must’ve hit a nerve, or several. I give my $.02 because...that’s what you’re trained to do...as a counselor at law (You know, the purpose of this entire forum?). Whatever you find “condescending,” in my posts is particular to an inferiority complex which you’ll have to address.
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:Whatever your intent was is sorta irrelevant now. This thread has helped no one and at best serves as a warning to 0L's to make sure you actually want to go to law school before you get reamed out by 3 years worth of debt.
This.

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 pm

-

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 am

This thread is TLS in a nutshell. :lol:

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:35 am

jasperjones wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:Mods can you please sticky this topic? info here is invaluable
And this?
I'm pretty sure this person was being sarcastic.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:48 pm

blueapple wrote:
jasperjones wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:Mods can you please sticky this topic? info here is invaluable
And this?
I'm pretty sure this person was being sarcastic.
I didn’t want to say it - OP was defensive enough :lol:

My $.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Last edited by Johnnybgoode92 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:Jasper's advice has been really helpful. Law school isn't what I thought it'd be and I'm a 1L. Unsure if I'll make it to the spring with how much I've been studing. We'll see.
Aren't you that troll who claimed to go to Cooley?

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 am

Last edited by Johnnybgoode92 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 am

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:Jasper's advice has been really helpful. Law school isn't what I thought it'd be and I'm a 1L. Unsure if I'll make it to the spring with how much I've been studing. We'll see.
I never said I went there. I was ony thinking about it. I went somewhere else.
How long can we expect the show to last this time?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 am

Tl:Dr

Who even reads anymore? Silly 1Ls.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I never said I went there. I was ony thinking about it. I went somewhere else.
How long can we expect the show to last this time?
He actually ended up at UVA

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 pm

The elitist bullying in this thread is illustrative of why this site has a poor reputation.

jasperjones

New

Post by jasperjones » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 pm

-

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 pm

UBETutoring wrote:The elitist bullying in this thread is illustrative of why this site has a poor reputation.
Wow. That's enough buzzwords to fill a presidential tweet.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Its not elitist to look at the employment data from a school and objectively say that its not very good.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:Its not elitist to look at the employment data from a school and objectively say that its not very good.
My response was to the people saying the thread contains useless information. Having tutored the LSAT for 7 years, I have had students who have matriculated to schools like Harvard and like Drexel. The latter group frequently has the ability to get a much better LSAT score, but is unable/unwilling to commit themselves to studying on a consistent basis with the idea that they'll work harder in law school. Based on OP's writing ability, he falls into this group. What many fail to realize is that those who could not bring themselves to focus on the LSAT/UG are much likelier to be unable to focus once in law school. The ability to work hard is a skill; the fact that anyone can acquire the ability does not preclude it from being a skill.

OP demonstrated significant courage to come here, and admit that he failed. It takes a great deal of maturity to admit you failed even to a group of strangers on an anonymous forum, and this courage should be commended. It should serve as a warning to anyone that is considering attending these schools. Reasonable minds can differ on how much work is necessary to do well at any law school, even a top school. However, hard work is a necessary condition to placing at the top of the class and students at Drexel go in aiming to place at the top of the class. I'd argue that depending on one's goals, going to a better law school affords them ability to not have to work hard.

Aergia

New

Post by Aergia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Wtf is going on in this thread. OP gave some pretty innocuous and reasonable advice. He basically just said you should really engage with the material when doing the usual shit you're supposed to do rather than thoughtlessly plugging away. Get your heads out of your asses people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”