Studying for bar while working on a campaign Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
WalkingContradiction

New

Studying for bar while working on a campaign

Post by WalkingContradiction » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Hey all,

After graduating this spring, I have the opportunity to help out on an important Senate race over the summer. Is it crazy to look to work on the campaign during the day and do an online bar review course in the evenings?

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Studying for bar while working on a campaign

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Bad idea.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:51 pm

I've never known anyone who volunteered on a campaign that had evenings free from volunteering. I feel like everyone who works on a campaign works more than a full-time job. Not sure this would work unless you have reason to think this campaign would be different.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:05 pm

blueapple wrote:I've never known anyone who volunteered on a campaign that had evenings free from volunteering. I feel like everyone who works on a campaign works more than a full-time job. Not sure this would work unless you have reason to think this campaign would be different.
Agreed. The only possible exception would be if you worked out an explicit arrangement where you were only doing stuff on an incredibly part time basis -- I worked on a gubernatorial campaign during my 2L SA, but under the express condition that I was basically going in one evening per week and doing data entry. The work was super clerical, but allowed me to both help out with the campaign and meet people while otherwise focusing on the SA (which was obviously my priority for the summer).

heather_mt

New

Post by heather_mt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 am

"work on a campaign" can mean a lot of different things. What specifically would you be doing? I haven't studied for the bar yet, but I have worked on a good number of campaigns in most departments and can give some insight with more detail. PM if you want!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”