Health Insurance after 26 years old Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
oceanmd

New

Health Insurance after 26 years old

Post by oceanmd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Can I sign up for the government insurance after I turn 26? Or do I have to buy insurance through school?
Did anyone look into this? Thank you very much for any insight in this process.

snowball2

Bronze

Re: Health Insurance after 26 years old

Post by snowball2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 pm

As a student you can get coverage through your school or through Obamacare.

oceanmd

New

Post by oceanmd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:31 pm

I know that but it is expensive. I am asking whether I would be eligible for ACA insurance as I do not have much of an income.

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 pm

As Snowball notes, many schools offer health plans to their students that are priced below the prevailing rates on the open market. Similarly, many schools will also require you to either (a) buy their plan, or (b) waive out of their plan by proving you have comparable coverage.

If you are considering buying insurance through the Obamacare exchange, take a look here to see if you qualify for a special enrollment period:

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-out ... nt-period/

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:03 pm

I'd look into Obamacare though you can also get it through the school. My Obamacare plan was significantly less than what I'm paying now through the school. I'm getting emails re signing up for Obamacare for next year now so I'd check out healthcare.gov if you're interested. I want to switch back to Obamacare but I feel like it would be a major hassle at this point figuring out how to get out of the school's health insurance program at the mid year mark.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Graybrow

New

Post by Graybrow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Is it generally possible to go on your school's plan once you turn 26 (let's say I'm turning 26 in February) or do you have to be signed up for the whole year?

Alternatively, is it possible to sign up for a plan in Februrary that you're only on 5/6 months or w/e and then go on your school's plan the following fall?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Graybrow wrote:Is it generally possible to go on your school's plan once you turn 26 (let's say I'm turning 26 in February) or do you have to be signed up for the whole year?

Alternatively, is it possible to sign up for a plan in Februrary that you're only on 5/6 months or w/e and then go on your school's plan the following fall?
School plans are generally on a semester-by-semester basis, but you can probably ask your specific school's health services about that.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:23 am

Yes you are certainly not the first person to turn 26 in the middle of a semester. It's a qualifying life event. I'd be shocked if your school didn't let you enroll upon turning 26.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 am

And if you're that broke, apply for Medicaid through your state. Not all states allow students to apply but some do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”