1L Summer Associates data? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

1L Summer Associates data?

Post by brinicolec » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Anyone know of any resource that lists the GPAs for 1L summer associates at firms? Currently trying to figure out if I have a shot at any of them.

Edit: I know the GPA requirement will vary depending on the school, but I'm assuming most people that get 1L summer associate jobs are at comparable schools.

Additional edit: I'm a minority - and a woman - so I can do diversity positions.

Thanks!

JusticeChuckleNutz

New

Re: 1L Summer Associates data?

Post by JusticeChuckleNutz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:02 pm

The majority of 1L SA hiring is for diversity positions. This means there will be little to no correlation between GPA and hiring. Stop reading tea leaves and go study to put yourself in the best possible position.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:06 pm

JusticeChuckleNutz wrote:The majority of 1L SA hiring is for diversity positions. This means there will be little to no correlation between GPA and hiring. Stop reading tea leaves and go study to put yourself in the best possible position.
This is kind of true.

There are a lot of 1L SA positions for diversity candidates.

There are also still some 1L SA positions for people with super high grades from great schools.

There are also a lot of 1L SA positions at firms in secondary and tertiary markets who want to pull top candidates from top schools who have a nexus with that secondary and tertiary market.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:07 pm

brinicolec wrote:Anyone know of any resource that lists the GPAs for 1L summer associates at firms? Currently trying to figure out if I have a shot at any of them.

Edit: I know the GPA requirement will vary depending on the school, but I'm assuming most people that get 1L summer associate jobs are at comparable schools.

Additional edit: I'm a minority - and a woman - so I can do diversity positions.

Thanks!
Hi, there are no lists that I can think of. Just make sure you put forth a great application to stand out. Good luck.

slurp

New

Post by slurp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:41 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
JusticeChuckleNutz wrote:The majority of 1L SA hiring is for diversity positions. This means there will be little to no correlation between GPA and hiring. Stop reading tea leaves and go study to put yourself in the best possible position.
This is kind of true.

There are also still some 1L SA positions for people with super high grades from great schools.

There are also a lot of 1L SA positions at firms in secondary and tertiary markets who want to pull top candidates from top schools who have a nexus with that secondary and tertiary market.
I know you have the LA thread going so I'm hoping you can answer this. Im at UCLA/USC (no other significant CA ties) and want to practice in LA, but have ties to a very insular secondary (if that, biggest firm is like 80 attys) market. Do you think most LA firms would negatively look at me doing a 1L SA gig over there? Is that enough reason for them to assume I'd rather go back to my home market than be in LA, or would I be better off doing anything in LA for the summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 pm

slurp wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
This is kind of true.

I know you have the LA thread going so I'm hoping you can answer this. Im at UCLA/USC (no other significant CA ties) and want to practice in LA, but have ties to a very insular secondary (if that, biggest firm is like 80 attys) market. Do you think most LA firms would negatively look at me doing a 1L SA gig over there? Is that enough reason for them to assume I'd rather go back to my home market than be in LA, or would I be better off doing anything in LA for the summer?
Going to UCLA and USC and having good grades is enough of a tie to LA. What you do during your 1L summer really doesn't matter too much for big law so long as you did something law related.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
This is kind of true.

does "diversity" in law firm hiring have the same meaning as "URM" in law school admissions? or is it more expansive?

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:59 am

proteinshake wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
This is kind of true.

does "diversity" in law firm hiring have the same meaning as "URM" in law school admissions? or is it more expansive?
I was a diversity 1L at a law firm. In my experience (and remember this is only anecdotal as I am only one person) all of the diversity 1L summers were Black. I never saw anyone else who identifies as a URM (gay, Hispanic, white woman, etc.) as a 1L diversity summer.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:00 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
This is kind of true.

I was a diversity 1L at a law firm. In my experience (and remember this is only anecdotal as I am only one person) all of the diversity 1L summers were Black. I never saw anyone else who identifies as a URM (gay, Hispanic, white woman, etc.) as a 1L diversity summer.
That’s incredibly wrong. Might be true at your firm but is not the case anywhere else. The definition is far more expansive than URM and pretty much includes any one who isn’t straight, white, and male at most law firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Mullens wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
This is kind of true.

That’s incredibly wrong. Might be true at your firm but is not the case anywhere else. The definition is far more expansive than URM and pretty much includes any one who isn’t straight, white, and male at most law firms.
thanks! is there a list of diversity positions anywhere? or do I just need to search through my school's job search site / firm sites?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Mullens wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
This is kind of true.

thanks! is there a list of diversity positions anywhere? or do I just need to search through my school's job search site / firm sites?
I don’t think there is an easily accessible list anywhere. You can check NALP to see if firms hire 1Ls at all. Then on December 1st, go to the websites of all the amlaw 200/vault firms where you want to work and see if they have 1L diversity applications up. I advise you to start prepping materials now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”