ABA Accreditation Standard 510/403/404 Complaint Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
1snowflake

New

ABA Accreditation Standard 510/403/404 Complaint

Post by 1snowflake » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Anyone ever go through their law school's ABA Accreditation Standards complaint process?

I am a good student so not sour grapes. I like the school I attend and would not want to damage the school. I like law school and anticipate that I will like practicing the law.

However, I am frustrated and angry at not getting much out of a particular course.

There is a particular prof. with a reputation of not actually doing much instruction, refusing to give feedback to students, and when pressed for feedback takes retaliation by giving bad grades. My experience matches the reputation.

The prof. and his adjuncts do not seem to live up to the ABA 2017-2018 standard 404(a)(1) which provides that a professor shall: "Teach[], prepar[e] for classes, be[] available for student consultation about those classes, assess[] student performance in those classes, and remaining current in the subjects being taught." Nor to 404(a)(2) which says the professor shall [p]articipat[e] in academic advising, creat[e] an atmosphere in which students and faculty may voice opinions and exchange ideas, and assess[] student learning at the law school.

I could put verifiable facts, not just conjecture, up against at least half of those elements. Rumor has it the prof. donated a large sum of money to the school and therefore gets away with what he gets away with. A classmate claims to have verified that rumor.

I doubt I would ever file a complaint with the school (or ABA) for several reasons. First, I like the school. Second, I want to graduate, pass the bar, and practice (Cynical? Yes).

But, I was just wondering if anyone had any first or second-hand experience with doing such a thing.

I suppose even the fantasy of doing so is just tilting at windmills and this post is just venting.

Still: actual experiences?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: ABA Accreditation Standard 510/403/404 Complaint

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Such a complaint has not a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

1snowflake

New

Re: ABA Accreditation Standard 510/403/404 Complaint

Post by 1snowflake » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 pm

:D

I know.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”