Transactional Version of Moot Court Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
charlie90

New

Transactional Version of Moot Court

Post by charlie90 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Hey! i learned that my school sometimes participates in something called Lawmeet, which someone told me is like a transactional moot court. I'm going to an infosession soon but I was wondering if anyone on tls has ever participated and would recommend it for 2l.

thx!

HamNewton

New

Re: Transactional Version of Moot Court

Post by HamNewton » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Did this last year as a 2L and doing it again as a 3L (mostly for the credits and free trips). But I found it to be extremely valuable if you're wanting to do transactional work. Going through the process of drafting, redlining, and negotiating an agreement forces you to delve pretty deep and get a deeper understanding of how the different provisions/terms work together, more so than the superficial level of understanding you would likely get from a standard M&A/Transactional class. I found I had a pretty good foundation for corporate work I did this summer because of it.

Plus, free trip (depending on your school I guess). Regional meets are held in pretty solid cities. And if your team makes it, National meet is held in NY which is LITTT

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 pm

That sounds terrible (tbf: so does moot court). If your law school has any transactional clinics, I would do those instead but mostly I just wouldn’t worry about getting transactional experience in law school. It’s not something anyone expects you to have and you can pick up the basics on the job pretty quickly- and moot due diligence or whatever won’t prep you for anything beyond the basics.

But I guess there’s not really a downside other than the time you spend with it so if it’s a worth a trip to ny to you then go nuts.

HamNewton

New

Post by HamNewton » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:That sounds terrible (tbf: so does moot court). If your law school has any transactional clinics, I would do those instead but mostly I just wouldn’t worry about getting transactional experience in law school. It’s not something anyone expects you to have and you can pick up the basics on the job pretty quickly- and moot due diligence or whatever won’t prep you for anything beyond the basics.

But I guess there’s not really a downside other than the time you spend with it so if it’s a worth a trip to ny to you then go nuts.
The fact that no one expects you to know anything about transactional work is exactly why I found it valuable. And on the contrary, I haven't found doing a deal to be something that I picked up quickly. To be clear, you're not drafting resolutions/doing due diligence/other random junior stuff, which yes is easy to pick up. It goes beyond the basics and basically entails exactly what an M&A attorney does, from the associate to partner level.

Yea relative to doing nothing this is much more work. But if you're looking for an extracurricular and/or something to put on your resume as an alternative to moot court, definitely choose this. I can't even imagine having to write an appellate brief again...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”