Crim Policy Supplement? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
VirginiaFan

New

Crim Policy Supplement?

Post by VirginiaFan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 pm

My criminal law prof tests almost exclusively policy, so I don't know how to outline for it. Any policy supplement recommendations?

McChicken

New

Re: Crim Policy Supplement?

Post by McChicken » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Understanding Criminal Law by Dressler is perfect. It's not only the best crim supplement generally, it also gives policy insight on nearly every point of law.

persia1921

New

Re: Crim Policy Supplement?

Post by persia1921 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Dressler probably has the best supplement. As I recall, he also covered a good amount of policy arguments.

As far as outlining goes, just make sure to note all of your professors arguments and thoughts on a subject. After you do this make sure that YOU spend sometime thinking about the issue. Decide was position you want to take and then come up with arguments to support it. This exercise works best when you take a position that is either at odds with or at least slightly different than what you learned in class, because you won't be inlinced to just copy the reasoning you learned.

The above is important because at least in my experience regurgitating what you learned in class on an exam is almost a sure way to land at medium. That's what everyone does--it's the easy way out--the problem is that if your answer is not one of the best in the class you will end up average or worse. When testing policy professors want to see that you understand the material and can make unique arguments about it, that's where you get points, not through regurgitation. The professor will not care what position you take so long as you support it with an argument that shows a deep understanding of the material. (Note that in order to make such an argument you will need to understand all of the counter arguments [orher policy postions] and point out why your position is superior to the alternatives).

Caveat: of course this depends on the professor to some extent, if the professor explicitly tells you to regurgitate do it. If they tell you to compare and contrast two positions you learned about do it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”