Cliques In Law School? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LawSchoolGeeky

New

Cliques In Law School?

Post by LawSchoolGeeky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:57 pm

1L here. Am I the only one who is finding (at least in the 1L realm) that law students are incredibly cliquey? It's so weird... There's like a group of students in my section who all make jokes and talk during class as if they're the "cool group," and then I've noticed other little groups that all hang out together. I feel so strange because I've never had too much trouble making friends but I feel like the outcast here in law school. Has anyone else had experience with this/have any advice?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Cliques In Law School?

Post by NoDayButToday » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooMuchTuna

Silver

Post by TooMuchTuna » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:37 am

I think cliques are normal at almost every law school.

Did you go to any open houses or admitted student days? Did you join a Facebook group for admitted students in your class year? Those are the kinds of things I did when I was choosing a law school, and it enabled me to develop friendships with people before law school even started.

For someone in your position, I would recommend going to bar review and, like NDBT said, joining organizations at your school that you're interested in. Also, if your school/class year has a thread on TLS, might as well start poasting in there too!

anonanonny

New

Post by anonanonny » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 pm

You definitely aren't the only one who found this to be the case. I saw cliques forming early on 1L year and for the most part those same cliques exist 3L year. Very high school-esque. My advice would be to attend school events and other social events happening where people you like will be attending. I personally kept more to myself 1L year (hanging out with my significant other a lot) and sort of missed the opportunity to make good friends or be a part of any group or clique (don't really regret this though--I'm not into heavy drinking and partying like a lot of classmates). In my experience, the "cliqueyness" was not as bad after 1L year because classes are mixed, and many of the silly 1L requirements no longer exist. At my school, we had to do certain things as 1Ls that we don't have to do as 2Ls and 3Ls. 2L and 3L year feel much more like "go to school, go home" rather than 1L, which felt like it consumed my whole life. I felt like an outcast 1L year for not being a part of a group but that's really not the case anymore since I'm less aware of the cliques as a 3L. That's just my experience, and I wish you luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”