Drop out and reapply later, worth it? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
adf33251

New

Drop out and reapply later, worth it?

Post by adf33251 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 am

I'm a 2L at a t30. Although my parents could afford my 45k/year debt, I still want to pay them back in the future. It seems that the only way for me to repay the debt is to work in a law firm. However, because the cumulative GPA of my first year is around top 50%, as an int'l student, it is very unlikely to find a law firm position in US after graduation. Under this bad situation, even I enjoy learning laws, I can't concentrate on my 2L courses and keep thinking about dropping out. I've asked some schools and they answered that it is possible to admit students who have completed their first year as a new 1L. Assuming that I could reapply and be admitted to a t20 law school as a 1L for two or three years later, is it worth to do that? Thanks for your reply in advance.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Drop out and reapply later, worth it?

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:06 am

adf33251 wrote:I'm a 2L at a t30. Although my parents could afford my 45k/year debt, I still want to pay them back in the future. It seems that the only way for me to repay the debt is to work in a law firm. However, because the cumulative GPA of my first year is around top 50%, as an int'l student, it is very unlikely to find a law firm position in US after graduation. Under this bad situation, even I enjoy learning laws, I can't concentrate on my 2L courses and keep thinking about dropping out. I've asked some schools and they answered that it is possible to admit students who have completed their first year as a new 1L. Assuming that I could reapply and be admitted to a t20 law school as a 1L for two or three years later, is it worth to do that? Thanks for your reply in advance.
If you've completed your first year, you cannot get admitted as a 1L. Nice try though

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm

adf33251 wrote:I'm a 2L at a t30. Although my parents could afford my 45k/year debt, I still want to pay them back in the future. It seems that the only way for me to repay the debt is to work in a law firm. However, because the cumulative GPA of my first year is around top 50%, as an int'l student, it is very unlikely to find a law firm position in US after graduation. Under this bad situation, even I enjoy learning laws, I can't concentrate on my 2L courses and keep thinking about dropping out. I've asked some schools and they answered that it is possible to admit students who have completed their first year as a new 1L. Assuming that I could reapply and be admitted to a t20 law school as a 1L for two or three years later, is it worth to do that? Thanks for your reply in advance.
Actually you can still transfer. I've seen it done. you may lose some credits however...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Shema wrote:
Actually you can still transfer. I've seen it done. you may lose some credits however...
But what would be the point of that? Will be in the exact same (or worse) situation. Also, wouldn't be able to transfer to a very good school w/ median grades.

adf33251

New

Post by adf33251 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Shema wrote:
But what would be the point of that? Will be in the exact same (or worse) situation. Also, wouldn't be able to transfer to a very good school w/ median grades.
Totally agree with you and that's the reason I'm thinking about dropping out and reapplying as 1L few years later. Actually I have asked some schools regarding the re-application, and got the reply that they could take students who have completed their first year before. Even I have legit reasons for dropping out (family reasons), I know it must be harder to be re-admitted. Therefore, under the presumption that it is possible to reapply, I'm wondering about is it worth to take the risk and reapply later?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 am

adf33251 wrote:Totally agree with you and that's the reason I'm thinking about dropping out and reapplying as 1L few years later. Actually I have asked some schools regarding the re-application, and got the reply that they could take students who have completed their first year before. Even I have legit reasons for dropping out (family reasons), I know it must be harder to be re-admitted. Therefore, under the presumption that it is possible to reapply, I'm wondering about is it worth to take the risk and reapply later?
The only instances where I've heard of someone being able to repeat 1L have involved bad grades that were the result of a serious trauma, medical condition, etc.

You fucked up. Suck it up and figure out how to work with what you have instead of investing all your time and energy in looking for ways to get a do-over.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”