Just got a transcribed note of my class from a 3L - How to make the best use of it? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LawyerSawyer102

New

Just got a transcribed note of my class from a 3L - How to make the best use of it?

Post by LawyerSawyer102 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Long story short, I got a transcribed note from a 3L for Contract who's had the same prof as me. It is over 90 pages long. It contains every miniscule detail on what the professor says, and thus contains very useful info such as what topics were emphasized, ignored, hypos used, definitions given, questions asked during cold-calls/the "right" answers, etc.

I took the note to the class today to compare it to the actual lecture, and to my surprise, the notes and the lectures were virtually identical to the point that the professor was recycling the same words/hypos. He even asked the same questions during cold-calls to students, so in that sense, I know exactly what to anticipate in case I get cold-called.

So basically, I have the entire semester's note in front of me. How should I make the best use of this gem? Ditch the reading, study the transcribed notes instead and start making outlines immediately?

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Re: Just got a transcribed note of my class from a 3L - How to make the best use of it?

Post by ambrajdurbra131313 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:29 am

Had a similar situation (except mine was already in the form of an outline). I'd recommend not doing the reading but reviewing the 3Ls notes for the upcoming class period beforehand - you're essentially doing your reading more efficiently.
I started my outlines ASAP for all my classes, but I would recommend just sticking with the same outline timeline you have for your other courses.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Re: Just got a transcribed note of my class from a 3L - How to make the best use of it?

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:42 am

i don't really know what the value of this is. you don't get graded for cold calls, but seems like you can maybe relax during them. the rest of the information everyone will have eventually. i guess you could not read as much if you want to, but you could probably do that too if someone just gave you an outline. sounds like you just kinda got a mess of info that really should be in an outline form anyways. just ask someone for an outline.

LawyerSawyer102

New

Post by LawyerSawyer102 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 am

Thanks for the replies.

I guess the reason why I'm seeing the value in this is that it will allow me to make more efficient use of my study time. Based on those who managed top grade in the class, it seems like efficiency is the key to success. People unequivocally say not to brief the cases, not to read beyond what is required, not to write down anything other than what the professor lectures, and to make good use of commercial briefs instead of wasting hours on trying to understand a complex case. It's true that other students will eventually obtain the same info as what I have, but I can't help but feel that having all this info in front of me three months in advance of most students could be utilized to my advantage.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:21 am

yeah, sounds like you could cut down on reading if you want to. keep in mind reading offers you a context to the class discussion that will inform your understanding of whatever it is your professor is saying that you already know he or she is going to say. in any case, you get As by understanding the law better than your class mates and applying that law to facts better than your classmates; efficient studying just saves time, and you aren't even sure if what you're doing is efficient. not to sound like a jerk, but as a 2L if someone gave me that for a doctrinal Id probably just use it to zone out in class and not worry about taking good notes or not read and stuff. i don't think it would add any value if i was actually paying attention and trying, which is what you're doing as a 1L.

if this 3L is really on top of stuff, then ask for an outline. good professor specific outlines are worth more to you (and really do the same thing you're looking for). You're going to be using the outline to study come november. saving time in september isn't super valuable cuz theres not a ton that you could be doing right now besides doing your reading and learning how to get through a law school class, except maybe relaxing. saving time in november will be huge when you are outlining/studying for other classes and writing your memo.

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:24 am

Ummm... take a trip and don't show up. Study them 3 weeks before the exam, take practice exams, profit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”