Can I drop out for a semester? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rapmasterg

New

Can I drop out for a semester?

Post by rapmasterg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 pm

I have a fafsa issue that was not resolved in time for fall semester but the school dispersed the funding anyways. They told mr I would need to have it resolved by Spring Semester. Now, it seems that it may not get resolved by then. I am not sure what my options are in this. If I had to leave law school for a semester, could I just pick up where I left off? Also, would I be able to get around this? Not sure what would even happen to the loan that was dispersed.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Can I drop out for a semester?

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Not sure how the FAFSA issues work - no experience w/ dealing with those folks/resolving those issues.

Are you a 1L? If so, from a timing perspective, you won't be able to just pick up where you left off because the 1L spring classes won't be offered in the fall. If you are a 1L, probably best to just take a leave now and start over next fall; or, finish this semester, take a year leave and start next spring (assuming your school allows you to do any of this).

If you are a 2L, could probably just pick back up next fall. But that would have other ramifications - e.g. OCI, etc.

ETA: talk to your school about your options.

rapmasterg

New

Re: Can I drop out for a semester?

Post by rapmasterg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Not sure how the FAFSA issues work - no experience w/ dealing with those folks/resolving those issues.

Are you a 1L? If so, from a timing perspective, you won't be able to just pick up where you left off because the 1L spring classes won't be offered in the fall. If you are a 1L, probably best to just take a leave now and start over next fall; or, finish this semester, take a year leave and start next spring (assuming your school allows you to do any of this).

If you are a 2L, could probably just pick back up next fall. But that would have other ramifications - e.g. OCI, etc.

ETA: talk to your school about your options.
I am a 1L unfortunately, and I will talk them on Tuesday, I just found out today that the issue may not be resolved.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”