Vacation Trip During Law School? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stylnator

Silver

Vacation Trip During Law School?

Post by Stylnator » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Last edited by Stylnator on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Vacation Trip During Law School?

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 pm

This is a bad idea.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:This is a bad idea.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Nope, save your traveling for 2L and 3L.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 pm

I think it's a bad idea first semester because you don't know how to play the law school game yet. Any other semester, this is no big deal at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:45 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I think it's a bad idea first semester because you don't know how to play the law school game yet. Any other semester, this is no big deal at all.
First year grades are also the most important, so you probably don't want to take avoidable risks with those.

jlk411

Bronze

Post by jlk411 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:I think it's a bad idea first semester because you don't know how to play the law school game yet. Any other semester, this is no big deal at all.
First year grades are also the most important, so you probably don't want to take avoidable risks with those.
+1

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 am

My opinion is that missing those few classes should not hurt a person that "gets" the law school game, nor would it really hurt a person that doesn't "get" the law school game because they would perform poorly whether they went to class or not. But realistically, you probably won't know if you get the game until you get your first set of grades back. However, if you study properly for the exam, those missing classes won't hurt you. (Unless of course your school has some type of attendance incentive/punishment)

Get a trusted classmate to fill you in on what you missed.

Law school grades generally are based primarily on how you write an exam, and missing a couple of classes should not really have a bearing on that.

Not a big deal IMHO

(Full disclosure: My 1st semester I didn't miss a single class but all other semesters I took a trip whenever I needed a breather. Looking back now that I've graduated, a first semester trip would have had no impact on my performance IMO and would have led to a happier, less stressed individual that semester)
Last edited by Leprechaun on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:40 am

Don't do this first semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:05 am

I'm a 0L as well but I personally wouldn't take any days off that are optional for you. You may have a day or two where you get really sick, etc. so you wouldn't want to be in a position where you felt like you couldn't miss any more classes without being insanely behind.

(Coming from someone who got pneumonia senior year of college and is terrified of some crisis like that happening in law school!)

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:14 am

Don't do it, especially not this year. I went on a vacation my 2L year and went on two vacations my 3L year -- classes really don't matter as much those years. But, 1L year...I just wouldn't do it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 am

No.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 am

of course you can take a long weekend in october what is wrong with these losers

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 am

Hand wrote:of course you can take a long weekend in october what is wrong with these losers
And don't tell your professors just go. Missing a couple classes is not going to make a difference if you stay on top of the material.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am

Wow pretty shocked at these responses. I was super intense 1L, followed the guides on this website, ended up finishing near the top of my class etc. and still think it's crazy to skip this just for class. If I'm reading this right you are just gonna miss three days? Yea thats nothing, take the vacation. Just do the reading the week before and if any of the topics don't click ask the professor or a friend when you get back.

omd3117

New

Post by omd3117 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:44 am

In the end, I don't think it necessarily make a huge difference. But, I think for your sanity - if you don't do as well as you hoped, you'll wonder if the 3 day vacation was worth it. I also don't think this would have had an impact on how well I did, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking this many days off first semester of 1L.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 am

Hand wrote:of course you can take a long weekend in october

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

regulartime

Bronze

Post by regulartime » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:22 am

Most of these people are being ridiculous. You're only going to miss a Monday - Wednesday, right? By then you'll have somebody that will take notes for you, and you'll do the reading and probably have a 2L or 3L's outline. Those 3 days won't hurt you at all. I missed 2 weeks second semester of 1L because I had a baby and I don't think even that hurt me much.

Go enjoy your trip!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:39 am

Definitely go, especially since it's all paid for, and it's during the food and wine festival. Plus, your bf and his family might take offense if you turn them down.

Personally, I've found that I don't get much out of most classes. Maybe like 1/3 are helpful and the other 2/3 aren't worth attending if you've done the reading. Others may disagree. The big thing is to keep up on the reading. If you have questions about the material that is covered during the classes you miss, you can always ask the professor and your classmates.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 am

You can totally go, you'll be fine. Get good notes from a couple of people. I wouldn't tell your professors, missing a few days is fine. But if you tell them, oh, hey, I'm skipping your class to go on vacation, they wouldn't be too pleased. Don't miss any other days unless you're really, really sick.

The only logistical problem I see is you may have a legal writing assignment due. Just make sure you stay on top of things and get it completed early so you're not panicking/trying to do it on the trip.

catahoula

New

Post by catahoula » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:41 am

Hand wrote:of course you can take a long weekend in october what is wrong with these losers
I seriously don't understand what all these people are talking about. You can miss a couple classes. Not even worth thinking twice about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am

You guys should argue about this for another 7 pages at least

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:35 am

catahoula wrote:
I seriously don't understand what all these people are talking about. You can miss a couple classes. Not even worth thinking twice about.
+1

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am

You are in school. You have vacations for winter break and such. Travel then you wont be doing anything.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:55 am

I'd go, but I can understand why people wouldn't.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”