Exam Bank Exchange Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BulletTooth

Bronze

Re: Exam Bank Exchange

Post by BulletTooth » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:03 am

If you really feel the need to study before law school, just focus on civil procedure. It's one of the only classes that is fairly standard in what the teacher is going to teach. I would recommend just reading the Civil Procedure E&E if that's the route you want to go. I agree with everyone else that it's unnecessary, but at least don't waste your time reading on subject like ConLaw or Torts where you have no idea what your professor can decide to focus on.

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 am

Anecdotal but, everyone I know in law school who tried this method of going way too hard in the beginning and not letting themselves figure law school out - did worse than those of us who went into it with no preconceived notions of how we were going to learn.

It's an entirely unique learning experience, you're going to go in behind everyone else if you go in thinking you know how you're going to do well.

agnes_bean

New

Post by agnes_bean » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:41 pm

It seems kinda pointless, but just thought I'd drop a link to a similar thread from earlier this summer where we managed to (I think) change the 0L's mind. jsmith345, maybe it will give you a new prospective. If not, maybe it will at least be useful to some other 0L who is reading this thread/reads this thread in the future and for some reason needs more evidence that this is a very silly way to go about doing things:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=277532

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 pm

I think most of what everyone has said is correct, but I'll go against the grain and say that for some people spending very little time with the casebook can be effective. I essentially only worked from old outlines and supplements, following along in class with the old outlines that I had bound. I spent the time I would have been reading simply committing the outlines to memory and eventually scrutinizing old exams to figure out what the professor wanted out of an answer. I did very little reading, and looked like a total jackass when I got called on, but whatever, it worked for me. Eliminating some of the confusion and noise (ie. trying to identify what is important in a case) can be really helpful for some people 1L year, when you are already overwhelmed by several new subjects.

Pre-1L prep is a waste of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”