Law review note topic Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lawstudent3030

New

Law review note topic

Post by Lawstudent3030 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Any ideas on how to figure out a topic for a law review note? I'm supposed to write a 25-30 pages note on a unique topic next semester, and the law review board said I should start thinking about a topic now. But I have no idea what I would even want to write on. Thoughts? Thanks for your help

TexasHays

New

Re: Law review note topic

Post by TexasHays » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Did you do any writing for your summer gigs? I spent a month researching for a death penalty case and while its not the most fascinating thing, I already have summary memos and plenty of cases/secondary sources/etc that will save me a ton of time in research.

Just for efficiency and to maximize my free time, I highly recommend choosing something you've already done at least some work on.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm

To write you need to read widely. So start reading long form articles; not just law review articles, but think the New Yorker, Atlantic, Harpers, New York Times magazine and whatever the conservative equivalent of those are. There will be articles in there that discuss policy and law that raise issues that should tickle your fancy.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Another good idea is to pitch writing a paper in lieu of a final in one of your fall classes. I basically got a free A, three credits, and the opportunity to not worry an exam, all while knocking out your note. Topic is dictated by the course, and the professor will usually help you since they'd be serving as the faculty advisor on the note.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 pm

TC Heartland if any interest in patent stuff; Spokeo; Salman (inside trading); Class Action waivers; Sentencing guidelines - compare Obama admin w/ trump admin; anything from this list http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/pe ... -watching/

All of these need to be narrowed (and need to make sure no preemption issues), but a good starting point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawstudent3030

New

Post by Lawstudent3030 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I still have no idea what to write on, but I'll definitely use all of your comments to figure something out.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Alternative to TC Heartland, Lexmark is begging for a law student note.

Lawstudent3030

New

Post by Lawstudent3030 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Any non IP/patent ideas?

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Formulaic but tried and true: see what's been granted cert, pick fed issue that interests you, then compare and contrast state-level approaches

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 pm

(Also nothing will make your peers on the law review happier than a 50 state survey trust me)

stargazin

Bronze

Post by stargazin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am

This is unconventional, but one idea is to go to reddit's legal advice sub and look through people's legal questions there. People often ask questions about very unique situations you never would have thought of...it could jog your brain on unique legal topics that haven't been written much about and have little risk of preemption.

Lawstudent3030

New

Post by Lawstudent3030 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks for all of the feedback, I really appreciate it. I actually narrowed down to a general topic in criminal law, and even a more specific legal question regarding the Fourth Amendment. But now I'm trying to figure out whether it is pre-empted, how to add my own spin, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”