Tips from going from a B to a B+ Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CoLolliRol

New

Tips from going from a B to a B+

Post by CoLolliRol » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am

Title basically says it all. No matter how much I write I cannot seem to get out of the B range. HELP

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: Tips from going from a B to a B+

Post by cbbinnyc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 am

CoLolliRol wrote:Title basically says it all. No matter how much I write I cannot seem to get out of the B range. HELP
Are you already doing practice tests? You should be doing practice hypos and practice tests starting as early as possible. This is easier in some classes than others, but for most classes you can definitely start doing hypos starting halfway through the semester, if not earlier. For example, in Civ Pro, we got through personal jurisdiction in the first third, and I started doing PJ hypos right away. If your professor doesn't give you many practice tests (which should be used last) there are plenty of schools that put past exams online, and there are plenty of sites that have sample hypos. Not perfect, but anything that gets you looking at a hypo and applying the BLL you know to the facts. Having a sample answer is best so you can check your work, but not absolutely necessary. E&Es are also good for reading BLL and immediately applying it to hypos.

Also, if you haven't done this yet, you should check out LEEWS or Getting to Maybe or both.

ETA: Starting about halfway into the semester, I would always set aside time each week, for each class, to just do hypos. It's easy to slack off on this (as I often did) but it's probably the most important preparation, more important than outlining.

CoLolliRol

New

Post by CoLolliRol » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 am

cbbinnyc wrote:
CoLolliRol wrote:Title basically says it all. No matter how much I write I cannot seem to get out of the B range. HELP
Are you already doing practice tests? You should be doing practice hypos and practice tests starting as early as possible. This is easier in some classes than others, but for most classes you can definitely start doing hypos starting halfway through the semester, if not earlier. For example, in Civ Pro, we got through personal jurisdiction in the first third, and I started doing PJ hypos right away. If your professor doesn't give you many practice tests (which should be used last) there are plenty of schools that put past exams online, and there are plenty of sites that have sample hypos. Not perfect, but anything that gets you looking at a hypo and applying the BLL you know to the facts. Having a sample answer is best so you can check your work, but not absolutely necessary. E&Es are also good for reading BLL and immediately applying it to hypos.

Also, if you haven't done this yet, you should check out LEEWS or Getting to Maybe or both.

ETA: Starting about halfway into the semester, I would always set aside time each week, for each class, to just do hypos. It's easy to slack off on this (as I often did) but it's probably the most important preparation, more important than outlining.
Thanks for the reply. I've read getting to Maybe but what is LEEWS? I think my biggest issue is analyzing and not issue spotting, so is LEEWS more suited for this?

And yes I do practice tests but I probably should start earlier in the semester.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Best method now that you're a 2L: Don't take doctrinal/curved classes anymore.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:38 pm

How do you prepare for exams?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kay12345

New

Post by kay12345 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Make review part of your study routine from the beginning of the semester. I recommend creating a schedule for yourself and sticking to it religiously. What worked for me was reading during the week and reviewing on the weekends. So if I had X class on Monday-Wednesday, I would do Wednesday's reading immediately after class on Monday, and the next Monday's reading after class on Wednesday. Do NOT allow yourself to fall behind. Also, do not allow yourself to get caught up in minutae. Your classmates will spend too long preparing for class and memorizing obscure details of cases to impress professors/classmates. Set yourself a time limit for class prep--3 hours/class, for example. Don't lose sight of the big picture--all that matters is the final exam.

Remember that your course outline is not an exam tool--it is a review tool; a way to commit the course material to memory. Outline every unit as soon as you finish it, while it's fresh in your mind. And review your entire outline regularly. If something confuses you, confront it head on. Research the issue-- find YouTube videos; quimbee videos; re-read the case book; go talk to your professor. But don't leave it to exam time.

Also- don't lose sight of the casebook as a study tool! It's like some students forget it exists and they default to commercial outlines/other treatises. Your prof chose that particular casebook for a reason. Learn to love it. And don't waste money and time on unnecessary study aids. Sometimes simpler is better.

Do practice hypos starting halfway through the semester, and review your responses. Focus on what you're doing wrong, not what you're doing right. Go to your professor's office hours. Ask what an A answer is to them. Beg for sample answers if they don't provide them, and analyze these answers, comparing them to your own.

Come exam period, you shouldn't be mastering material anymore. You should be doing practice hypos left and right (and eating, sleeping and exercising). Spend time creating an attack outline of points to hit (black letter law, important cases, notable minority rules) for every topic you cover in the class. Test drive your attack outline and use it to take a timed practice question.

This is what I did, and I got straight A's my spring semester.

WalkingContradiction

New

Post by WalkingContradiction » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:00 am

Do you have a study group? Taking practice test with a study group and challenging each other on the answers you guys give before looking at the model answer is an extremely effective way to put things in focus before an exam. It helps you figure out your blind spots and maybe add a few notes to your exam. You'll also find that they may have used different note cases than you did, so write those down and why they might be relevant to issue X. I've found success in law school to be a group effort so far.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:19 am

crumb cake wrote:Best method now that you're a 2L: Don't take doctrinal/curved classes anymore.
TCR.

megamega88

New

Post by megamega88 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:15 pm

take a lot of notes, try to start outlining early in the semester, go over your outline and reduce your outline as much as you can. Try to simplify what your professor is lecturing you on. Create only a black law letter outline and get rid of any case names, you will see some cases repeat the law.

CoLolliRol

New

Post by CoLolliRol » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks for all the tips! So in general, what usually separates a B from a B+? Admittedly it varies by teacher and class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”