Visiting NYU as 3L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jlittletree

New

Visiting NYU as 3L

Post by jlittletree » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Anybody done it or have any insights about the process/experience? App deadline is tomorrow!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Visiting NYU as 3L

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:44 pm

I had a good friend who did it. We've talked about it a bit and I know that she really enjoyed it / was glad to get to try a new law school in a new city for 3L. I think it also may have helped her network in New York and get a job there, and it was also where her SO was living so for personal reasons she was glad to be there. When I transferred to NYU two years ago, visiting students picked classes only during add/drop--I think this changed last year, at least for the spring semester, so that they picked when transfers did for fall (still after everyone else has picked...). But worth looking into. I think they were also limited in extra curricular activities they could participate in (e.g., probably they couldn't comp for a journal with the transfers). The first semester is probably kind of an adjustment as with any new place--it takes time to get to know the community, and I'm guessing coming in 3L especially most friend groups are pretty well established and it could be harder to get to know people, at least in your class. My friend mostly made friends with LLMs. The other challenge my friend faced was meeting a home requirement in con law. Her law school rejected four of the NYU prof's con law seminars as not being sufficiently 14th amendment heavy. They did accept one, but it was with a professor that is usually not people's first choice. So, you might need to clear in advance before applying that you can fulfill all of your requirements at NYU before applying. You also probably won't get to apply any scholarship money to your experience. My friend was able to get campus housing in Hayden Hall, which was good.

I think it could be a really good experience if you come in ready to make the most of it or if you want a change of pace/scenery from your law school. For the most part, you'll be integrated as a current student of NYU, which could be really cool--lots of great opportunities at NYU and in New York. But if you're already at a law school in New York, I don't think it's worth it.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

axel.foley

Bronze

Re: Visiting NYU as 3L

Post by axel.foley » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:34 am

NoDayButToday wrote:I had a good friend who did it. We've talked about it a bit and I know that she really enjoyed it / was glad to get to try a new law school in a new city for 3L. I think it also may have helped her network in New York and get a job there, and it was also where her SO was living so for personal reasons she was glad to be there. When I transferred to NYU two years ago, visiting students picked classes only during add/drop--I think this changed last year, at least for the spring semester, so that they picked when transfers did for fall (still after everyone else has picked...). But worth looking into. I think they were also limited in extra curricular activities they could participate in (e.g., probably they couldn't comp for a journal with the transfers). The first semester is probably kind of an adjustment as with any new place--it takes time to get to know the community, and I'm guessing coming in 3L especially most friend groups are pretty well established and it could be harder to get to know people, at least in your class. My friend mostly made friends with LLMs. The other challenge my friend faced was meeting a home requirement in con law. Her law school rejected four of the NYU prof's con law seminars as not being sufficiently 14th amendment heavy. They did accept one, but it was with a professor that is usually not people's first choice. So, you might need to clear in advance before applying that you can fulfill all of your requirements at NYU before applying. You also probably won't get to apply any scholarship money to your experience. My friend was able to get campus housing in Hayden Hall, which was good.

I think it could be a really good experience if you come in ready to make the most of it or if you want a change of pace/scenery from your law school. For the most part, you'll be integrated as a current student of NYU, which could be really cool--lots of great opportunities at NYU and in New York. But if you're already at a law school in New York, I don't think it's worth it.
The classes point is most likely still true, given NYU just had its first round of registration. I don't think this should deter you though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”