jajajahahah Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AndrianMH

New

jajajahahah

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:00 pm

dfggfhnhgjfghjfjgndfvbdhdjyhgh
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Normally I am the dissenting opinion in these threads and say that if you're determined and willing to hustle and have a decent scholarship you should not drop out.

However they GPA is so poor and that debt so high and your chances of getting a legal job and passing the bar are so low...I would drop out. Sorry bro.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Do you have some sort of plan for getting a job after graduation? Like, were you working at a job before law school where your employer told you they'd hire you as a lawyer if you got a JD/law license? If you have something like that lined up, then it makes sense to stay. But if you just have a general plan to put yourself on the job market and hope for the best, then I would probably drop out.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Drop out.

This is not a difficult decision.

AndrianMH

New

hjgfjghj

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:41 pm

fghjfjmjh
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:43 pm

fgdg
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:45 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:Normally I am the dissenting opinion in these threads and say that if you're determined and willing to hustle and have a decent scholarship you should not drop out.

However they GPA is so poor and that debt so high and your chances of getting a legal job and passing the bar are so low...I would drop out. Sorry bro.

I am grateful for you honest advice. However, don't you think 70% scholarship is decent enough for me to stay? I am paying only 12k a year for tuition fees. I am hoping that the JD will help me find a job more easily.
No. Because the JD isn't likely to get you a legal job and will make you appeared over qualified for non legal jobs. What exactly do you want to do?

I see you have no 1L job. I would absolutely drop out. You need some sort of legal work your 1L summer. Any type and if you couldn't even manage that I doubt you can hustle enough to secure employment post graduation.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:48 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Do you have some sort of plan for getting a job after graduation? Like, were you working at a job before law school where your employer told you they'd hire you as a lawyer if you got a JD/law license? If you have something like that lined up, then it makes sense to stay. But if you just have a general plan to put yourself on the job market and hope for the best, then I would probably drop out.
I have no plan at all. I just go to law school right after college in the hope of working for a public defender office. More sadly, I have no job this summer after my 1L, but I am taking two summer courses.
Drop out. Even if you had a 100% scholarship, it wouldn't be worth it to stay: you'd be losing two years of your adult life (as well as the income you'd earn from holding a job during those two years) for no reason.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Drop out.

On a separate note, how is it that Mitchell Hamline is almost never referenced on these forums, and then two separate posters bring it up in a two-day period?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Drop out.

On a separate note, how is it that Mitchell Hamline is almost never referenced on these forums, and then two separate posters bring it up in a two-day period?
What is the other post about? I haven't seen it.

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:00 pm

You're going to spend $24k on tuition alone in the next two years, plus cost of living expenses. You will have no income during these next two years and you will not find a job as a JD after graduation. You went to a terrible law school and did terrible. Your best option is to drop out.

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm

grixxlybear99 wrote:You're going to spend $24k on tuition alone in the next two years, plus cost of living expenses. You will have no income during these next two years and you will not find a job as a JD after graduation. You went to a terrible law school and did terrible. Your best option is to drop out.
I do appreciate your response, but how do you think my law school is "terrible?" Do you know "Chief Justice Warren E. Burger?" He did attend my law school, did he not? I think my law school does a pretty good job in placing graduates to work.

paco_bell

New

Post by paco_bell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
grixxlybear99 wrote:You're going to spend $24k on tuition alone in the next two years, plus cost of living expenses. You will have no income during these next two years and you will not find a job as a JD after graduation. You went to a terrible law school and did terrible. Your best option is to drop out.
I do appreciate your response, but how do you think my law school is "terrible?" Do you know "Chief Justice Warren E. Burger?" He did attend my law school, did he not? I think my law school does a pretty good job in placing graduates to work.
Oh boy...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:10 pm

I'd stay in at 70% scholly and 33% pot committed.

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships. i graduated from a school like this and there was no real correlation i saw between grades outside of law review and job options. the 3.0s and 3.3s and 2.5s all ended up in roughly the same boat.

if you plan on moving a big city, compliance jobs at big banks are you r friends. i know quite a few people whove gone to work in these jd adv roles and the places do not even look at your gpa. just dont put your gpa on your resume and they won't ever know.

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:13 pm

paco_bell wrote:
AndrianMH wrote:
Oh boy...
Haha I was not serious really. I know my law school is "unranked" per U.S. news. That's said, I still love it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Johann wrote:I'd stay in at 70% scholly and 33% pot committed.

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships.
Agreed, but OP isn't networking. OP doesn't even have a 1L summer job. I know people from TTTT schools like this who ended up fine, but they either had (1) a pre-LS employer who would hire them as an attorney post-grad, or (2) solid networking/hustling skills.

OP has neither. He or she should drop out.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 pm

I wouldn't recommend dropping out, especially since you get to keep your scholarship.

Yes, the job search will be difficult and will require you to grind, but it isn't impossible and your goals (i.e., public defender) aren't unreasonable.

Plus, in doctrinal classes you didn't do all that bad, except for Constitutional law. Dragging down your GPA the most are Civil Dispute Resolution (whatever that is and why did you bomb it?) and Lawyering (whatever that is). Good legal research and writing grades in the future will help. For what it is worth, my lowest grade in law school was a C- in Agency & Partnership. I obviously didn't have a killer GPA and I had to grind/hustle.

This is ultimately you decision, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the dropping out train just yet.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:23 pm

rpupkin wrote:

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships.
Agreed, but OP isn't networking. OP doesn't even have a 1L summer job. I know people from TTTT schools like this who ended up fine, but they either had (1) a pre-LS employer who would hire them as an attorney post-grad, or (2) solid networking/hustling skills.

what the hell are they gonna do dropping out? its applying to a big bank. its not that hard. you dont have to network. you hit appy. and you usually get a job because your comeptition has no JD.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

what the hell are they gonna do dropping out?
OP could get a job as a temp somewhere and then gradually work his way into a mundane office job that will likely pay him more than he would make with his Hamline JD.

Look, I agree with your premise--TLS generally doesn't understand how folks are hired out of TTTs--but OP is showing all the signs of someone who is almost sure to fail. I don't see the point in racking up additional debt and opportunity cost in the OP's case.
Last edited by rpupkin on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm

no advice here, but a question: why don't you have any summer work? How many public defenders offices did you apply to?

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm

gsg
Last edited by AndrianMH on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 pm

ghbfg

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:I wouldn't recommend dropping out, especially since you get to keep your scholarship.

Yes, the job search will be difficult and will require you to grind, but it isn't impossible and your goals (i.e., public defender) aren't unreasonable.

Plus, in doctrinal classes you didn't do all that bad, except for Constitutional law. Dragging down your GPA the most are Civil Dispute Resolution (whatever that is and why did you bomb it?) and Lawyering (whatever that is). Good legal research and writing grades in the future will help. For what it is worth, my lowest grade in law school was a C- in Agency & Partnership. I obviously didn't have a killer GPA and I had to grind/hustle.

This is ultimately you decision, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the dropping out train just yet.
Civil Dispute Resolution = Civil Procedure
Lawyering = legal research and writing
Ok, that doesn't completely change my answer but I was hoping you would have a chance to get a B+ or higher in legal research and writing.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:40 pm

As an aside, here is some useful advice about when to use "scare quotes."

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/quotation-marks.html

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 pm

ghdh

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”