jajajahahah Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: With GPD 2.37, should I drop out of an"unranked" law school?

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:45 pm

AndrianMH wrote:
guybourdin wrote:no advice here, but a question: why don't you have any summer work? How many public defenders offices did you apply to?
Honestly, the answer is "0." I was freaking out that I would loose my scholarship because I got "D-."So, I was focused on school. Unfortunately, my GPA did not significantly improve.
I'm normally all for hustling and staying in because I do agree with other posters that you can be fine out of a TTTT. But this was insurmountably stupid of you not applying to any jobs. It's not like you only have a set period of time to apply. From December first on you can be sending out an application a day or so and still land a job. You didn't even do the bare minimum.

If you had a job and could show that you knew how to hustle and network I would have different advice. Honestly I would cut your losses now.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:I'd stay in at 70% scholly and 33% pot committed.

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships.
Agreed, but OP isn't networking. OP doesn't even have a 1L summer job. I know people from TTTT schools like this who ended up fine, but they either had (1) a pre-LS employer who would hire them as an attorney post-grad, or (2) solid networking/hustling skills.

OP has neither. He or she should drop out.
what the hell are they gonna do dropping out?
OP could get a job as a temp somewhere and then gradually work his way into a mundane office job that will likely pay him more than he would make with his Hamline JD.

Look, I agree with your premise--TLS generally doesn't understand how folks are hired out of TTTs--but OP is showing all the signs of someone who is almost sure to fail. I don't see the point in racking up additional debt and opportunity cost in the OP's case.
A temp job? The JD advantage jobs pay 70k starting and 100k after 5 years.

AndrianMH

New

Post by AndrianMH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm

zgd

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

theres really no difference between anything outside of top 10% at these shitty schools. once you miss the law review boat, it all comes down to networking and internships.
Agreed, but OP isn't networking. OP doesn't even have a 1L summer job. I know people from TTTT schools like this who ended up fine, but they either had (1) a pre-LS employer who would hire them as an attorney post-grad, or (2) solid networking/hustling skills.

OP could get a job as a temp somewhere and then gradually work his way into a mundane office job that will likely pay him more than he would make with his Hamline JD.

Look, I agree with your premise--TLS generally doesn't understand how folks are hired out of TTTs--but OP is showing all the signs of someone who is almost sure to fail. I don't see the point in racking up additional debt and opportunity cost in the OP's case.
Do you really not understand the significance of the massive unstated assumption you're making here?

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Do you really not understand the significance of the massive unstated assumption you're making here?

OP's likelihood of getting a JD advantage job aside, I've always thought people that say "JD advantage jobs pay X" or so on must never have worked before. There is no "JD advantage" salary. There is the salary that you get if you get hired to work somewhere. That may be much lower or higher than some floating average you found on the internet. Whether a salary will be higher or lower than that will depend heavily on your qualifications and the market you're competing in. Given OP's qualifications, I'd assume lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Johann wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

OP's likelihood of getting a JD advantage job aside, I've always thought people that say "JD advantage jobs pay X" or so on must never have worked before. There is no "JD advantage" salary. There is the salary that you get if you get hired to work somewhere. That may be much lower or higher than some floating average you found on the internet. Whether a salary will be higher or lower than that will depend heavily on your qualifications and the market you're competing in. Given OP's qualifications, I'd assume lower.
This is false for 2 reasons: 1) a number of companies have brightline rules about paying people with advanced degrees more. I've known many people at this point to get raises for having a degree not needed in their job because it's company policy. 2) getting a job with a credential is significantly easier. JD adv jobs are just like the name implies - easier to get for jds because they have a leg up on competitors. So yea, they could get the job, and get a good salary but they also might not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”