Renegotiate Scholarship at TTT Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Star18

New

Renegotiate Scholarship at TTT

Post by Star18 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:46 pm

I am currently on a scholarship that covers 45% of my tuition at a school that is aggressive with their offers. I know of numerous people who are receiving upwards of 90% tuition scholarships. After spring grades I am in the top 20% of my class and want to ask for more money. I am very open to the idea of transferring and have done some research on potential target schools. I was wondering if I should contact my current school first and ask for an increase or if it is better to wait until I have an acceptance to try and use for leverage?

grades??

Silver

Re: Renegotiate Scholarship at TTT

Post by grades?? » Mon May 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Go in with leverage, so get some transfer acceptances then go back. Just fyi, some TTTs will renegotiate, some will not. I have no idea if yours will or wont, but I would apply broadly as a transfer, especially given you are at only a 40% scholarship.

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:18 pm

grades?? wrote:Go in with leverage, so get some transfer acceptances then go back. Just fyi, some TTTs will renegotiate, some will not. I have no idea if yours will or wont, but I would apply broadly as a transfer, especially given you are at only a 40% scholarship.
Last edited by nrthwst4now on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BAS19

New

Post by BAS19 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Usually when you submit a transcript request (i.e. asking faculty to send your transcripts to another school), the registrar or person in charge will alert the deans. They may require a meeting with a dean, and if so, this likely is the time that they will give you an offer regardless of your acceptances. You should apply immediately if you are thinking about transferring.

Naturally, they will inquire as to your reasons for transferring. This is the time that you should mention your scholarship. You could tell them that in the long term it may be more beneficial financially to attend a school with a stronger alumni network etc. but that you really enjoy attending your current school. Usually, they will initiate the offer of an increased scholarship, but if they do not, mention it yourself. Ask them for an increase. If they can, they will, if not, they will not.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”