Should I re-apply to another law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Anna Mate

New

Should I re-apply to another law school

Post by Anna Mate » Sun May 28, 2017 1:06 am

I am an raising 2L at a Top20 law school, my first semester's GPA was 3.7. But my second semester was a disaster. Due to illness, I missed a lot of classes, and was hospitalized just before my finals, so my second semester's GPA was only 3.1. This is a huge disappointment for me, I know I could do better without the illness. So I am thinking about drop out and reapply to another law school, but not sure if it is a stupid idea.

btw I am an international student, the local market for my law school is gloom and with my current GPA, there is no hope to find a job.

sanzgo

New

Re: Should I re-apply to another law school

Post by sanzgo » Sun May 28, 2017 2:53 am

please correct me if i'm wrong,

but it is my understanding that once you get an official grade from a law school, those stay in your record forever. so you'll probably have trouble when it comes to reapplying to a t-14 since the adcoms will see your grades from the current school. no idea how it works for oci at the new school though (assuming you're even able to get into a different school).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:42 am

Yeah, once you have reported grades, it becomes a lot harder to drop out and start over. I've heard (indirectly) about people being able to drop out and enroll somewhere else due to emergency situations, but your emergency cropped up during the semester and was probably something you should have approached academic services about while it was ongoing, not after grades came out.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun May 28, 2017 8:42 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Yeah, once you have reported grades, it becomes a lot harder to drop out and start over. I've heard (indirectly) about people being able to drop out and enroll somewhere else due to emergency situations, but your emergency cropped up during the semester and was probably something you should have approached academic services about while it was ongoing, not after grades came out.
Agreed. There have been people who have been able to reapply with just 1st semester grades, but once you get a full year, you are out of luck. And transferring is now out of the question with that gpa. Really sucks op but as soon as you were missing classes you needed to leave and then reapply. Now it's too late so you are stuck at your school. Hopefully you didn't have a scholarship stipulation. Also with that gpa start thinking about what you want to do because big law is out of the picture for you.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am

Your cumulative GPA is not bad at all. You're at a T20. You're over reacting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 am

joefresh wrote:Your cumulative GPA is not bad at all. You're at a T20. You're over reacting.
I mean, it depends on what the school's median is. If it's a 3.0, then (depending on the school), the OP still has a shot at getting something from OCI. But if it's higher, then the second semester drop might have torpedoed their chances. And since the OP is an international student, they generally need a big firm to sponsor their H1B.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 30, 2017 10:58 am

I'm a bit confused, is your cumulative GPA 3.1 or just your second semester GPA? If the former, you're locked in to your school as was previously mentioned, but if the latter, then what is your cumulative GPA? I would imagine a 3.7+3.1 for 1L year would put you above median still, and therefore be much less bleak than if you just had a 3.1 cumulative. That clarification would be very helpful to me (and if I'm the only one misunderstanding your situation, apologies).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”