Evidence, Business Associations & Secured Transactions too much for one term? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tortious Conduct

New

Evidence, Business Associations & Secured Transactions too much for one term?

Post by Tortious Conduct » Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I've asked around my school, and responses are all over the place. My adviser said that'll be overbearing, especially if I get on Law Review. On the other hand, my 3LOL buddies said it'll be "aggressive" but not undoable.

If I had to choose two, Secured would go. Nothing else offered is really catching my attention, though; Secured isn't exactly either, but at least its a bar course, and fits snugly in my schedule.

Anyone have any experience with taking courses like these fall 2L?

umichman

Bronze

Re: Evidence, Business Associations & Secured Transactions too much for one term?

Post by umichman » Wed May 31, 2017 2:02 pm

i did a similar schedule, you'll be fine

mrlawguy

New

Re: Evidence, Business Associations & Secured Transactions too much for one term?

Post by mrlawguy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:00 am

Evidence is a handful by itself because hearsay (and the nature of trial law) is complex. B.A. is much easier if you have some kind of background in business. I have noticed that students with zero business experience tend to struggle. I haven't taken secured transactions, but I have heard from friends who have taken the course that it can be difficult.

Therefore, I would not suggest taking evidence and B.A. together unless you have some background in business (finance/business major, corporate work experience, personal study of corporations/finance/business). As you've been told, I am sure it is doable to take all these classes at once, but I would not risk it (since the class may not be what you expect it to be). Furthermore, if you will be participating in OCI, you should account for the fact that you will have difficulty focusing in your classes for the first two to three weeks because you will be preoccupied with interviews (even if you are fortunate enough to get an offer before the semester begins, you will mentally check out because you will inevitably start relaxing a bit).

Tortious Conduct

New

Post by Tortious Conduct » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:06 pm

mrlawguy wrote:Evidence is a handful by itself because hearsay (and the nature of trial law) is complex. B.A. is much easier if you have some kind of background in business. I have noticed that students with zero business experience tend to struggle. I haven't taken secured transactions, but I have heard from friends who have taken the course that it can be difficult.

Therefore, I would not suggest taking evidence and B.A. together unless you have some background in business (finance/business major, corporate work experience, personal study of corporations/finance/business). As you've been told, I am sure it is doable to take all these classes at once, but I would not risk it (since the class may not be what you expect it to be). Furthermore, if you will be participating in OCI, you should account for the fact that you will have difficulty focusing in your classes for the first two to three weeks because you will be preoccupied with interviews (even if you are fortunate enough to get an offer before the semester begins, you will mentally check out because you will inevitably start relaxing a bit).
This is helpful. I've opted out of taking Secured next semester, and am taking a skills course, Pretrial Advocacy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 pm

I do recommend taking Secured Transactions at some point before the bar. It would be pretty difficult to learn through the prep course for the first time. Mostly because it is a subject matter that most students have never even thought of or heard about, rule based, and there are technical terms you must learn to understand.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 pm

You'd be fine with all three. Evidence and BA are pretty easy black letter law classes.

ihadadream

New

Post by ihadadream » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 pm

star fox wrote:You'd be fine with all three. Evidence and BA are pretty easy black letter law classes.
I second this. Evidence is easy. BA is average. I didn't take ST, but understood it well enough for the bar after studying it for a couple of days.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”