Should I e-mail my professor about a grade? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IPProf

New

Re: Should I e-mail my professor about a grade?

Post by IPProf » Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 am

rpupkin wrote: To Whom It May Concern:

B90 was a student in my Evidence course in Fall 2014. He received a grade of "C," one of the lowest in the class. B90 wrote a final exam which suggested that he was not capable of practicing law. His horrible exam notwithstanding, I must admit that—based on my occasional interactions with him—he appears to possess the minimum competency necessary to function as a lawyer. I therefore did not consider it a total travesty when the bar examiners of this state saw fit to grant him a law license.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Professor Pupkin
Much though I would love to write a letter like this, I think I'd just decline.

On the original topic:
K5220 has a good suggestion; it's always appropriate to ask what you missed. Though most professors have scars from students challenging grades, this approach is much less confrontational and is more likely to lead to a productive conversation.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

B90 wrote: :oops: :D 8)

Of course I haven't - and won't - ask for a written recommendation. What I meant is that if I was applying for a job and the hiring partner knew my professor, I do not think s/he would throw me under the bus.

Also, do you know my professor?
Actually, s/he is a notoriously tough grader, but not evil. If I asked for a written rec, s/he would say no.

Edited because scooped by IP Prof. Also, why are the notifications not working?!
Lol @ pupkin. And yes, there are definitely ways to keep a good relationship with a prof even if you got a bad grade in their class and talked to them about it, etc... My advice regarding the post I was responding to was just to be careful -- don't just assume you'll never see your law profs again and never have anything to do with them for the rest of your life.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 pm

IPProf wrote:
rpupkin wrote: To Whom It May Concern:

B90 was a student in my Evidence course in Fall 2014. He received a grade of "C," one of the lowest in the class. B90 wrote a final exam which suggested that he was not capable of practicing law. His horrible exam notwithstanding, I must admit that—based on my occasional interactions with him—he appears to possess the minimum competency necessary to function as a lawyer. I therefore did not consider it a total travesty when the bar examiners of this state saw fit to grant him a law license.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Professor Pupkin
Much though I would love to write a letter like this, I think I'd just decline.

On the original topic:
K5220 has a good suggestion; it's always appropriate to ask what you missed. Though most professors have scars from students challenging grades, this approach is much less confrontational and is more likely to lead to a productive conversation.
Prof. Pupkin:
It has come to my attention that you referred to me as having "one of" the lowest grades. I was under the impression that I had THE lowEST grade, as in the best of the worst. Please advise.
Humbly,
B90

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”